Do you think drugs should be legalized?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
cooltodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cooltodd »

Why Our Drug Laws Have Failed and What We Can Do About It: A Judicial Indictment of the War on Drugs

Have you read it?
Publishers Weekly wrote:Following his career as a federal prosecutor and a trial judge, Gray, now a California Superior Court justice, is struck by the revelation that the so-called war on drugs was "wasting unimaginable amounts of our tax dollars, increasing crime and despair and severely and unnecessarily harming people's lives... the worst of all worlds." He effectively documents a growing coalition of often conservative lawyers, legislators and justices who view the drug war's impotent dream of national abstinence as folly and its shadow effects (from imprisonment of nonviolent offenders to diversion of law enforcement resources) as dangers to liberty.
What do you think?

awelker

Post by awelker »

i think that there should be medicainal drugs, ie medicinal marijuana.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
hkdonbks

Post by hkdonbks »

Yes. Drugs are out there and they are a fact of life. The government should at least get their cut from the sales.
Linda

Post by Linda »

"Drugs" is a very broad term, too broad to actually take a particular side. but if your speaking purely of marijuana i think it should be legalized, it doesn't really matter tho. illegal or not people will continue smoking either way. marijuana is already readily avalible to anyone who wants it.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
ClickForth

Post by ClickForth »

I haven't ever done drugs, but as far as Marijuana goes, I have pretty much an uncountable amount of friends who smoke it at least a few times a month. I think there's a stigma against it in society since the 50s, when the bottom line is it is either harmful or equally as harmful as alcohol. I say enforce about the same laws as alcohol and legalize it.
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

For sane, mentally competent adults, I say why not? Why shouldn't an adult be able to choose what drugs they take and do not take?

In my opinion, a person should be able to do whatever they want to their own body and property, as long as they do not harm anyone else's body or property.

I'm going to give that book a read.
Hoops4me2

Post by Hoops4me2 »

It is a slippery slope when legalizing drugs. One has to choose between personal freedom and the greater good.
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

I definitely agree that there should be a distinction between pot and other drugs. This is because, at least all the research that I've found, is that it isn't an addicting drug. Other 'harder drugs' such as heroin, kinda scare me, and I think that people should be careful about them. I think its heroin that requires medically supervised detox, right?

However, I do think that pot should be legalized. I guess this is my frankly Canadian take on matters, but I figure that people are doing it anyway, so why bother making it illegal? Legalizing pot would allow the government to regulate the supply, and they could possibly generate governmental revenue if they taxed it like cigarettes.

I also think that prostitution should be legal. But, that's a completely different story.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

KaeMartyndale wrote:
However, I do think that pot should be legalized. I guess this is my frankly Canadian take on matters, but I figure that people are doing it anyway, so why bother making it illegal? Legalizing pot would allow the government to regulate the supply, and they could possibly generate governmental revenue if they taxed it like cigarettes.

I also think that prostitution should be legal. But, that's a completely different story.
KaeMartyndale wrote:
However, I do think that pot should be legalized.

Hell yeah Kae!! :D Putting it out there!! I LOVE it!! You got some balls baby!! But all joking aside, very good point Kae, well put! But "other" drugs, they scare me too :shock: noooooo thanks!
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

Star wrote: Hell yeah Kae!! :D Putting it out there!! I LOVE it!! You got some balls baby!! But all joking aside, very good point Kae, well put! But "other" drugs, they scare me too :shock: noooooo thanks!
Just don't tell President Bush. I might end up with the CIA on my tail. :shock:
SeoulChild

Post by SeoulChild »

I really think people underestimate marijuanna as a drug. I'm definitely not against legalization or anything like that, it's just that I hate to hear people say that pot isn't a drug just because a lot of people do it. It's still an opiate. Period. Lol but anyway...I don't see what more harm legalization of marijuanna can really cause; We've got legal pescriptions that are wayyyy worse....xanax/tabs/oxy. Blah blah blah.
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

SeoulChild wrote: I'm definitely not against legalization or anything like that, it's just that I hate to hear people say that pot isn't a drug just because a lot of people do it. It's still an opiate. Period.
Marijuana isn't an opiate, it is a cannabinoid derivative (from the cannabis sativa plant). Opiates are derived (naturally) from poppies. Opiates include heroin, morphine, etc.

Edited to say: I don't use drugs, though this post makes it seem like I do. I majored in psychology, and we do a lot of research on different classifications of drugs, and their effects, etc. I actually had one professor who was studying the behavioural aspects of heroin addiction by allowing rats to self-administer heroin via pushing a lever in their cage. Fascinating stuff.

If you're interested, it was Prof Francesco Leri at The University of Guelph.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/atguelph/03-04-0 ... /drug.html
Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

KaeMartyndale wrote:
Star wrote: Hell yeah Kae!! :D Putting it out there!! I LOVE it!! You got some balls baby!! But all joking aside, very good point Kae, well put! But "other" drugs, they scare me too :shock: noooooo thanks!
Just don't tell President Bush. I might end up with the CIA on my tail. :shock:
Well I'm meeting him for drinks tonight, you know cause I'm his high class..Very high paid (prostitute)...but I'll keep it on the hush hush :wink: lol
Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

KaeMartyndale wrote: I actually had one professor who was studying the behavioural aspects of heroin addiction by allowing rats to self-administer heroin via pushing a lever in their cage. Fascinating stuff.

If you're interested, it was Prof Francesco Leri at The University of Guelph.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/atguelph/03-04-0 ... /drug.html
Very,very interesting, thanks for sharing that :)
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I am from Holland and my opinion should then not surprise anymore. I am for legalisation.

It is not only the drug that is doing all the damage. It is the criminal atmosphere around it. If it is difficult to get some marijuana and you need to find dealers to get a little bit of herbal stimulants, it is only a small step further to other criminal activities. Since you are then already in touch with the wrong people, in an uncontrolled environment and more, it is not unlikely that you slip further away.

Another argument: WHY IS ALCOHOL LEGAL?
Alcohol is legal, and can be bought anywhere. Does anyone know how many families are ruined by alcohol? It also has way more worse effects in man than marijuana. Alcohol creates angry people that fight and kill. Marihuana doesn't. How many drunk drivers are there out on the street every night, because it is legal to buy alcohol? When using marijuana, you still can control yourself and remember. Drunks do not even remember what they did the night before. That is a waste of life!

In my opinion alcohol is way more damaging than marijuana. But everybody is totally ok with drinking a beer or a glass of wine. Then what is the big deal about Marijuana?

Ask your smart government!

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”