Official Review: Every Day by David Levithan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lauralopezb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Official Review: Every Day by David Levithan

Post by lauralopezb »

Every day, A wakes up in the body of a different 16-year-old. It’s been happening since the day he/she was born, and A has come to terms with the fact that it will never change. It’s been difficult at times, but A has never had real issues with it. Not until the day he/she wakes up as Justin.

As A leaves Justin’s locker, he’s greeted by Rhiannon, who happens to be Justin’s girlfriend. He’s immediately drawn to her and decides to give her one of the best days of her life. After skipping school to spend the afternoon at the beach, A realizes he’s fallen in love. Hard. A knows he can’t be with Rhiannon because of the whole body-switching situation, but he still finds a way to reach out to her from the different bodies he’s inhabiting. In a matter of weeks, A and Rhiannon share a physical and emotional bond that leads to A revealing his secret to her, and Rhiannon developing feelings for A.

Throughout the book, the author guides you through a highly emotional journey of exploring the characters’ struggles, not only with each other, but with themselves. He makes you believe that the relationship between the main characters is in fact within the realms of possibility, and he keeps you hoping for a happy ending.

David Levithan did an impressive job at exploring the themes of love, gender, and sexuality. He leaves you questioning every single thing you thought you knew about life and love. Is it really possible to fall in love with someone’s personality, despite their looks? Is physical appearance actually that important? I was hooked to this book from the very beginning and wasn’t able to put it down until the end. I’m looking forward to reading more books from the same author and I highly recommend you do the same. Oh, and start with this one. You won’t regret it.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James