Official Review: Jay's Coach Learns a Lesson by Kamon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Jay's Coach Learns a Lesson by Kamon

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jay's Coach Learns a Lesson" by Kamon.]
Book Cover for 2502
Share This Review

Intended for elementary level readers, Jay's Coach Learns a Lesson is the third book in Kamon's Jay's World series, which teaches children how to handle moral dilemmas in a relatable and easy-to-understand manner.

Jay is a boy who enjoys video games more than he enjoys sports. One day, he spends too much time hanging out at the arcade after school, forgetting all about the fact that he is supposed to have swim practice. Upon coming home, he is greeted by his very annoyed mother, who hurriedly gets him to the swimming pool. When they arrive, Jay discovers that his teammates are well along into practice, so he sneaks quietly into the locker room in the hope of avoiding his coach, who he knows will be angry with him for being late.

As Jay silently enters the locker room, he discovers his coach deep in conversation with another man. Immediately, Jay realizes that this is not a casual conversation, as the two men are talking about funds that have been allocated to the swim team for uniforms and swim meets. Continuing to keep a low profile, Jay listens in, and discovers that his coach and this other man are planning to keep the money for themselves! With his mobile phone, Jay is able to record most of the conversation, but he now finds himself in a quandary: What should he do with the evidence? Who will listen to him, and what will happen if his coach finds out?

First off, I want to commend the author for writing a children's book that addresses the tricky situation of catching an authority figure in the act of doing something wrong. This topic is an especially difficult one for young children, who are often conditioned to not question adults, regardless of the circumstances. Jay's feelings of powerlessness and fear are very realistic, and I believe that many children will be able to empathize with him.

Although this book tackles a complicated issue, the storyline and language remain simple enough for children to absorb the lesson, and the illustrations complement the story nicely. Jay himself is a surprisingly well-developed character, given the length of the book, and displays a true-to-life mixture of strengths and weaknesses. The writing itself is free of errors and flows smoothly

My only issue with this story--and this is more a matter of curiosity than a criticism--is that I have no idea where Jay lives in the world. The book gave me the distinct impression that Jay is not from my country (the United States), but did not offer specifics.

In closing, I believe that Jay's Coach Learns a Lesson is an excellent children's book, and I am giving it 4 out of 4 stars for its positive message and straightforward storytelling. I would recommend this book for elementary students in first through fourth grade, as younger children may not fully understand Jay's dilemma, and the plot of the book might be too simplistic to satisfy older readers.

Buy "Jay's Coach Learns a Lesson" on Amazon
Buy "Jay's Coach Learns a Lesson" on Barnes and Noble
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Kamon
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Water Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Publishing Contest Votes: 4

Post by Kamon »

Fantastic! Thank you for this excellent review. I can answer part of your question, as I was born in Quebec, Native American Abenakis, and have been living in Asia for 26 years, so yes, Jay's nationality can be hard to find! LoL!!!
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Kamon wrote:Fantastic! Thank you for this excellent review. I can answer part of your question, as I was born in Quebec, Native American Abenakis, and have been living in Asia for 26 years, so yes, Jay's nationality can be hard to find! LoL!!!
You are welcome, Kamon! Thank you for your wonderful story, and for kindly answering my question! :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent review. A positive message and straightforward storytelling are two things I love to see in books. It's surprising how many authors ignore these seemingly obvious tenets of writing good fiction. This sounds like a truly first-rate little book.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Kamon
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Water Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Publishing Contest Votes: 4

Post by Kamon »

Dear Kappy, a truly deep bow of gratitude from the author! You made my day! Kamon
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

This sounds like a very interesting series. I would like to know how the author answers such moral dilemas. What are the titles for the rest of the series?
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”