All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

All the light we cannot see

Post by rida »

I read this book last week and it was so great. I love to read books based on WW-II but it was different from rest of the books I read.

A story based on WW-II, dealing with lives of two people of different countries, different views, culture and ambitions. I liked the idea of how they were connected throughout the book but had so small a time together. You never know how you are continuously a part of someone's life and how much can you effect it.

I always like stories having World war 2 because they describe the sufferings, fears and consequences which war has on people and the long effect of those horrible memories you carry along with you but this book was difference. It had both sides of the war, of conqueror and conquered and so beautifully it highlighted the fact that no matter which of the two persons you are, you always loose your true self. Peace of mind, loved ones, selflessness and spirit to live.

Foreign soldiers are alike no matter to which country they belong, properties are always robbed, children die, humanity is treated beyond ethics, teenagers loose their innocence, cities are never recovered in the same way, talent gets lost in smoke and shells and how two or three generations never heal.
Read, read & eat then read some more
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Post by PluviophileReader »

This book has created a lot of buzz since its publication and it's well deserved. All The Light We Cannot See is a remarkable and one-of-a-kind story that takes place during WWII. Specifically during D-Day and the occupation of France. You follow the stories of Werner Pfennig, a young orphan German boy, and Marie-Laure, a young blind girl both before, during and just after the war. The novel is about humanity and what it means to be human when we are faced with unforgiving challenges and circumstances.

Marie-Laure is just six years old when she goes blind. While her mother is no longer alive, her doting father, who is the master of locks a the Museum of Natural History in Paris, is extremely committed to her care. He begins to build small wooden models of the area that Marie lives in so that she can learn to find her way around. While initially terrified, through her father's encouragement and persistence, Marie becomes a very independent and capable child despite her blindness.

Werner is spending his childhood in an orphanage with his sister Jutta as their father died in a coal mine. Werner is a curious and intelligent boy and he is constantly asking questions about the way the world works. He quickly becomes enthralled with the radio that he and Jutta listen to and when it breaks he becomes determined to fix it. Before long, Werner becomes the go to person for any type of radio repair in town. As he grows, so does his cravings for knowledge, but what sort of life could a boy, even a gifted one, have coming from an orphanage? The emergence of Hitler's youth seemed to provide an answer to that question. While Werner is gifted he is oblivious to the cause that he wants to join. Jutta on the other hand is not as ignorant and she learns to read between the lines of what is being dispatched on the radio and the whisperings of other adults. She tries to warn Werner, but he doesn't understand. All he can see is his one opportunity to become something more than an orphan.

As the war breaks out, you start to see how the story lines of these two very different characters are going to come together to one amazing and potent conclusion.

I loved Marie-Laure's story. Her character is so enduring and real. However, this side of the war has been told many times so the inclusion of Werner's story, that almost mirrors Marie's, is what I found truly captivating. You often only get to hear about that horrors that Germany inflicted during this time, which is more than understandable, but it's easy to forget that there were many innocent and young people in Germany that suffered too as a result of the actions that the adults took around them.

The story of Werner and Marie show that despite the horrors that surrounded the war, there were many cases of honor, love, resilience and strength that emerged as well. Within Werner and Marie, the author is able to capture the many facets of being human and that it's our decisions and actions to do what's right, regardless of whatever challenges stand in our way, that define and shape who we are and have the power to leave lasting impressions on those that that we meet and effect.
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan
Cbrunyate
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: Swamplandia
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrunyate.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Cbrunyate »

I was surprised to see that there wasn't more buzz generated by this book on here. I could just not be seeing it (that's entirely possible), but I too, just read the book and was enchanted with it. Some authors have a way of writing so that you can't help but see the image exactly as the author intended it to be seen, Anthony Doerr is one of these authors. I had never read anything by him before, but was impressed with this wartime novel. Although the book was long I didn't feel like it was dragging on like some descriptive books can. I also liked how the author jumped from one character to another as well as past and present so that the reader could see the entire picture and from several perspectives. It was done in a way that flowed well and I was invested in each of the characters in the book. I agree with you, I thought that the characters in the book showed that there was still compassion and love even in such horrific times. We often hear of the horrors of this time period (and these were included as well), Mr. Doerr did a splendid job of making the characters real people giving them depth and conflicted feelings that I'm sure many of the individuals from this time period shared. Although the ending wasn't quite what I was hoping for, I still loved it from beginning to end and can't wait to read more books by the author. I would highly recommend it.
swoodso
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by swoodso »

This book was so engaging. A slow, beautiful novel that still managed to build up to quite an intense climax. Despite knowing early on how both story lines would come together, I enjoyed the journey to get there. I could have wished for a different ending for Werner--in many ways it was the only option for him, but it was somehow unsatisfactory. Overall, though, I though this book was beautifully written and worth the page count.
JoMama123
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomama123.html

Post by JoMama123 »

I have heard amazing things about this book and I am looking forward to reading it. I have it on my kindle. :) The author is also from my home town!
easy75

Post by easy75 »

To swoodso, this was one of the best books I read last year. I was also just a twinge disappointed with the ending, but couldn't fault it just because it didn't happen the way I wanted. He is an amazing writer. Werner was a great character in a story that was full of great characters.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This book has been on my to read list for awhile. I actually like when books don't end the way I expect/want them to so this makes me want to read it even more.
Amera7
Favorite Author: Stephen Speilberg
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amera7.html
Latest Review: "A Scab is no Son of Mine" by Stephen Whyles

Post by Amera7 »

The title is grand. It's somewhat symbolic. I would say that the author of this book has a pretty creative mind. I'm not easily intrigued, but I am now, and I think I've take a look at this book.
Latest Review: "A Scab is no Son of Mine" by Stephen Whyles
amandabbeck
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandabbeck.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by amandabbeck »

My mom just bought me this book while we were on vacation. I have heard alot about it from a book club I joined on Facebook and I thought it sounded great! I can't wait to read it.
jessica_anne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-anne.html

Post by jessica_anne »

So helpful! I have heard some negative things about this book from some of my friends but this review makes me really want to go read it right away :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I read this book a few months ago for my book club. I thought the writing was superb, although I didn't care for the ending.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TammyS

Post by TammyS »

I recently finished this book and enjoyed it very much. It was heartfelt and touching, however the ending did not make me happy. I would recommend this to anyone who wants an emotional story.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I cannot wait to read this book! I have heard such good things about it. It is nice to hear from other readers that they enjoyed it as well. Sometimes I get afraid that when a book gets soooooo much hype, my expectations will be far too high and I will end up being less than impressed with it. It doesn't sound like that will happen with this one.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
BookAddict1211
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaddict1211.html

Post by BookAddict1211 »

I was a lite unsure of this book. I didn't realize the time flop back and forth so I felt kinda "duh" once I realized it. Then it all started to make more sense. I'm fairly impressed with how this book is turning out and I'm really close to the end. Hoping I won't be disappointed. Not that I have a "hope" for how it ends. Some chapters are more intense then others. Some times it throws in a different language such as German or French and I have no idea what it means. Can't wait to see how it ends. I'm soo close to finishing it.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

I'm 200 pages in. Really liking it so far, but I'm not moving through it as quickly as I'd like. I need a long stretch of time just to get lost in it. Beautiful writing.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”