"Shatter me" trilogy, Tahereh Mafi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emski100
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emski100.html
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
fav_author_id: 2445

Shatter Me Series, Tahereh Mafi

Post by emski100 »

The Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi, is about 17 year old Juliette, a girl with a deadly touch. The first novel is Shatter Me Anyone she touches she can kill. And she has...well accidentally. She didn't mean to kill, she didn't want to, she thought she was helping. But, no. After that the Reestablishment locked her up and thats where she's been. But when Adam Kent, a boy Juliette once knew, is sent to be her cellmate everything changes. Soon she's in the hands of Warner, a cold and calculated leader of Sector (i think its sector?) 45. Juliet becomes their lab rat and the story blooms from there. The second novel Unravel me is (in my opinion) 100x better than Shatter Me , so if you don't love the first, remember the second is AMAZING.
The last novel, Ignite Me, comes out February 4th 2014 .These novels have a love triangle (not going to name names....) that is SOOO AWESOME!!! In almost every other YA book I can usually pick out the guy the main character ends up with. 99% of the time. Because its always annoyingly obvious. Really come on? But in this series I have no idea. I certainly have a favorite...but I have no idea who Juliette's "favorite" is. I'm hoping its mine. But really, these books are awesome. And I have a feeling the third one is going to be even better than the second. So if you haven't read them yet and are into this sort of genre...Read them!!! :D
Just a girl with a banjo and some books...minus the banjo
Also a booktuber :)
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
yalonde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

So ok, after reading your review i might just have to try to finish Shatter me. I stopped a little after she meets warner. I wad just bored. Since i love a good love triangle, i have to try again. Especially since you say the second is better.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
Caz1+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

Excellent review definitely going to get these
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

That's good to hear about the love triangle not being predictable. It's nice to be surprised, isn't it? I just finished a non-YA book where it was obvious from the first chapter who the main character would end up with. Pretty frustrating.
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
CaitlinHall

Post by CaitlinHall »

The shatter me trilogy is fantastic. The first book pulls you in almost instantly; introducing the idea of an entirely different world filled with intrigue and intensity, adding to the mystery surrounding Juliet and what she is capable of(as mentioned in the blurb), "shatter me" leaves readers ravenous and hungry for more,filling them with an anticipated eagerness to find out what lies further within the pages of the novel. The characters in the book when first introduced are interesting and realistic. The main character Juliet, through the books, grows as a person and learns about herself and about accepting yourself, while creating strong friendships with the other characters, who are all very different and memorable, their personalities each unique and likeable. The way Tahereh Mafi writes is amazing, you don't want to stop or take a break because there's no boring parts that drag on. The techniques used are so effected the way she uses metaphors brings it to life. It's not predictable, you couldn't predict the ending if you tried, it keeps you guessing and wondering. I would definitely recommend it for people who like dystopian novels with romance and fantasy.
leassymm
Favorite Book: Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by leassymm »

I usually do not like romance novels because many of them are 'oh i love him but i dont wanna tell him' throughout the book (which annoys me to no end), but the Shatter Me series was amazingly written, the whole thing is majorly messed up (which i love) and predicting what will happen next is close to impossible. It is by far one of my favorite book and series, and I would definitively recommend it too!
leassymm
Favorite Book: Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by leassymm »

This series is just amazing, and even in the last one (when you can predict who she'll end up with) there is still lots of surprises. By far one of my favorites
ashleeboyer
Favorite Author: Jen L Armentrout
Favorite Book: Too many to choose from
Currently Reading: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L Armentrout
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleeboyer.html

Post by ashleeboyer »

I love these books! I fell in love with the authors writing and how vulnerable she made Juliette, although she does mature and grows stronger so don't worry. There is romance in it, but it's not the main focus in the books and it's also not the typical love story either. It kind of surprises you along the road. It kind of reminds me of X-men a bit and that's what I love about it.

Again, Tahereh Mafi's writing is soooo enjoyable. Here is a little taste from the first installment, Shatter Me.

"The moon understands what it means to be human.
Uncertain. Alone. Cratered by imperfections."
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

I have just started this series, about 3/4 thru the first book. I would not classify this series as Romance. I would more call it Dystopian/Fantasy. And like just about every other dystopian book, it has a romance in it.
rozemaiden87
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rozemaiden87.html

Post by rozemaiden87 »

Someday, I'd like to read a YA fiction trilogy featuring a female protagonist without any annoying romance to muck up the story. Since people are saying the love triangle isn't the focus here, I might give it a shot.
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

I read the first one in the series and I liked it. I will when I get a chance buy or rent the rest of the series. I would give it 3 out of 4 stars.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have just read the first one and liked it. I plan to read the rest as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Christen1
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christen1.html
Latest Review: "What's it gonna be?" by Cassandra Piat

Post by Christen1 »

At first, I was not sure if this is a series I would really be able to get into but once I started reading it I could not stop. There are a few parts that are a little slow and sometimes I felt as if it was a little repetitive, but overall a great read. I loved the twist at the end.
Latest Review: "What's it gonna be?" by Cassandra Piat
kecaesar1
Currently Reading: Missing Pieces
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kecaesar1.html

Post by kecaesar1 »

Juliet has been locked up in an insane asylum for months, based on an accident that occurred when she was younger. She has a strange power- she cannot touch or be touched by anyone without causing them extreme pain. Enter love for the only man in the world that she can touch (hmmm... that worked out well, didn't it.) Unfortunately, this man, Adam, is working for Warren, a slightly-hot-but-also-sadistic af man who wants Juliet to be a pawn in his war. Well, Juliet's not having that, and she escapes with Adam's help.

Juliet is not a strong female character at first, and she is a couple slices short of a cake due to an abusive childhood. Thankfully, Juliet grows up throughout the book and matures enough to be likable. I enjoyed watching her grow from insecure to blossoming strength.

This book is a good read but not excellent and has no real twists and turns. However, it is enjoyable for light bedtime reading.
ScrawledLetters
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawledletters.html

Post by ScrawledLetters »

This series is one of my guilty pleasures. Definitely felt like more of a love story than a fantasy. (But hey, I'm not complaining) I was really excited for all of the character development, Juliet's being my favorite. The love triangle did not disappoint, even when I was in all honesty sick of them. I grew to care for all, if not most of the characters, and in addition to having great chemistry the platonic relationships were very entertaining as well. Mafi's writing style is refreshing and beautiful throughout the entire trilogy. Can't wait to read her novella's!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”