Official Review: Glodwyn's Treasure Chest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Glodwyn's Treasure Chest

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Glodwyn's Treasure Chest" by L. Sydney Abel, Helen Alexander, Janice Clark, Penny Estelle, Mary Filmer, Elizabeth Grace, Vincent .]
Book Cover for 2419
Share This Review

Glodwyn's Treasure Chest is a collection of children's stories penned by twelve different authors from the United States and the United Kingdom. The title character, Glodwyn, is a central figure in one of the stories featured within this book. The majority of these tales are aimed at elementary readers, but a few middle grade stories and one excerpt from a young adult novel are also included. This book is available for purchase and as a free download, with all profits going to the World Literacy Foundation, a worldwide charity committed to the advancement of literacy through e-learning.

Although primarily an anthology, Glodwyn's Treasure Chest also serves as a platform for the authors to promote their works, and as such is divided into two parts. The first part of the book contains twelve short stories, while the second half contains biographies of each author, along with excerpts and/or synopses from their other books. Initially, I thought that this set-up was a little odd, as I was expecting a collection of short stories and nothing else. However, by the time I finished the book, I appreciated the inclusion of the second half, as many of the featured books seemed promising. I intend to share this book with my 10-year-old son, and I am certain that he will find several of the titles interesting.

Overall, the writing and editing throughout this book are excellent. I did find a few sentences that were missing commas, but these were far and few between and did not bother me. There were also some spelling variations due to slight differences in British and American English, but the publisher had the foresight to explain these differences at the beginning of the book.

The stories themselves were charming, and contained any array of colorful characters, including an ugly princess that causes mirrors to flee in terror, a lost puppy who is helped by friendly fairies, and two best friends who share a special form of communication. Most of the stories are what one might classify as fairytales, although a few were firmly rooted in reality. I personally enjoyed reading all but one of them, but this is due to my personal tastes and does not reflect in any manner upon that particular writer.

My only criticism of this book is the cover art. I do not like the cover art because I feel that it isn't age-appropriate for the stories within this anthology. In my opinion, the artwork does not accurately reflect the content of the stories, and is more suited for a book intended for toddlers, not elementary-level readers.

But on the whole, I found Glodwyn's Treasure Chest to be a delightful collection of stories, and I am giving it 4 out of 4 stars. Avid readers will enjoy the diversity of the stories, and the opportunity to learn more about the authors, while more reluctant readers will appreciate the fast pace and overall brevity of each tale. Teachers might also use this book as a resource for obtaining new reading materials for students, as many of the authors' biographies contain links to their specific works.

Buy "Glodwyn's Treasure Chest" on Amazon
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

Sounds like an interesting collections of stories. I like that biographies of the authors are included. I think that knowing about an author can help kids realize that stories don't just pop up out of nowhere, someone has to actually write them.

Great review!
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thanks, Little House! I agree that it is good for the children to learn more about the authors. These days, people don't put much thought into the work that goes into everything we see--especially children. They do tend to think that everything just pops out of nowhere, don't they?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent review. I also think that knowing something about the author is helpful to the reader; a sentence about the author's background is a standard part of my reviews.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”