Official Review: The Mulberry Tree by George Mournehis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Official Review: The Mulberry Tree by George Mournehis

Post by Airam Velarde »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mulberry Tree" by George Mournehis.]
Book Cover for 1982
Share This Review

The Mulberry Tree, written by George Mournehis, is a compelling story about a man’s journey, enlightenment, and transformation, brought upon by something as simple as the tending of soil.

Marcus Lamb is in no way ready for any type of responsibility. In fact, he is quite relieved that his pregnant girlfriend wants to end their relationship. All he wants is to continue his reckless and carefree life of drinking, drugs, and sex. When his grandfather passes away, he leaves Marcus an allotment and the wish for him to continue to care for his land. This of course leaves Marcus quite perplexed. After all, what would a city boy know about gardening and horticulture? His grandfather’s last wishes lead him to Butterfly Lane, where he meets his grandfather’s rival, Alex; the very mysterious, yet wise man, Benjamin; and the feisty and shapely Sophia. He then decides to keep the allotment and continue his grandfather’s work, at least until he can woo Sophia. However, this task which he once thought meaningless becomes his stepping stone into a new life. His eyes open to a more meaningful world through gardening, that is not just about growing prize winning pumpkins. Marcus then finally realizes the reason behind the inheritance his grandfather left him.

The title of this novel refers to an actual mulberry tree that is ever present in this story. Marcus’s grandfather, Ernie, had planted this tree when his grandson was born. As such, this tree is presented as a metaphor for Marcus’s development throughout the novel. Just like the mulberry tree was “all leaf and no fruit,” so had Marcus never matured and lost his way. Through his journey he slowly begins to change his attitude and begins to understand about the more important things in life. His growth is then reflected on the mulberry tree and how after tender and meticulous care, it finally gave fruit.

I think the allotments served as a good setting for the redemption and improvement of the protagonist. The earth element can mean being grounded, having stability, which I think Marcus was in need of in order to move away from his past transgressions. As one of the wiser characters, Benjamin, said “to forget how to dig the earth and to tend to the soil, is to forget ourselves.” Through working with the soil alongside his new companions, Marcus was able to find himself again and put his life in order.

The author’s understanding of human nature and his willingness to explore both the good and bad, make this a very warm and moving story. It is simple, sometimes humorous, but with a serious underlying message that comes through the characters and their lives. I really enjoyed reading about each character and the lives they live surrounding the allotments. I found that even the smaller side characters have great personalities that we immediately empathize with. I grew fond of them and having seen their sorrows and their undying hopes, I couldn’t help but shed tears for them on a couple of occasions.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Mulberry Tree. Accompanying Marcus through his transformation, all the while being a witness to the interesting day to day happenings in the allotments, made this novel a very memorable read. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking to be drawn into a story that can easily stir emotions in you. I will be really looking forward to Mournehis’ next novel. I give The Mulberry Tree, 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "The Mulberry Tree" on Amazon
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

Sounds like a good book.

Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
ladyzuly1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ladyzuly1 »

good review! Can't wait to read the book:)
Airam Velarde
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>

Post by Airam Velarde »

Thank you so much for your comments! :)
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This book sounds great! Thanks for the review, can't wait to read the book myself someday!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
dagbjortxox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dagbjortxox.html

Post by dagbjortxox »

Sounds really good! Great review by the way!
Airam Velarde

Post by Airam Velarde »

Thank you! :D

~Victor Hugo
myrna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myrna.html

Post by myrna »

Thanks for this review. I am really interested in reading this book. Not only do I want to understand Marcus's reason to change, but also see how his transformation can influence everybody else's lives.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”