Official Review: The Gray Man: A Novella by L. N. Nino

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: The Gray Man: A Novella by L. N. Nino

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gray Man: A Novella" by L. N. Nino.]
Book Cover for 2496
Share This Review

The Gray Man: A Novella by L. N. Nino is a short story that doesn’t really seem to fit into any specific genre. If it were a movie or short film, I might classify it as a suspense. The disclaimer at the beginning of the book states that this is a work of fiction. However, this story can easily be imagined as a true tale, and I seriously felt like I was experiencing a memoir as I read through this book. If there is any truth to this story, it’s utterly terrifying and would cause the book to jump into the horror genre.

The story is told by the main character, going by the moniker Greg, who makes a point to say that details such as names and descriptions are arbitrary and completely irrelevant to the point of the tale. The main point being that his life changed when he met The Gray Man, and the entirety of the story is spent telling about the events that led up to this meeting. Leaving their home country in search of a more meaningful life, Greg and his wife Carla settled in Bigcity, Bigstate, America. According to Greg, their lives then became even less meaningful, though Carla thrived, even in a horribly demeaning job, while Greg sank further into depression and survived only with his dream of being a published author. Then he finally met The Gray Man, and his life would never be the same again.

The first thing you will notice when reading this book is the language. It’s not casual at all; it’s hardly even modern. It reads like the typical classics we all had to suffer through in high school, and I would be lying if I said that I didn’t need a dictionary to look up a word or two (or ten) as I was reading. The vocabulary is like a graduate school entrance level exam at minimum, and anyone who is looking for some light reading would not find pleasure in this book. Because of this high level, I first thought the tone was a bit pretentious and condescending, but the more I read, the more I realized: that’s exactly the point. The character Greg is a pretentious and condescending man who feels that he can write classic masterpieces like the literary greats of our history. The author did a fantastic job conveying the main character in such a way.

I love how the story is just one big build-up to the climax, the meeting of The Gray Man. The suspense and anticipation of finding out what this Man was all about captured me. I read this whole story in one sitting, very late at night, which might have been a mistake. The surprise ending gave me goosebumps, and then I couldn’t sleep for a few hours after that. Initially, I was just disturbed and rather terrified, but upon further consideration, I became fascinated. Any difference to the ending would have been bland in comparison.

Despite the difficult reading level of the book, the ending is what sold me on this story. If others can patiently pace themselves through the story like I did, they won’t be disappointed. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and encourage others to give it a chance as well. It wouldn’t surprise me if this book ends up in the classic literature section of the library one day, next to the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Buy "The Gray Man: A Novella" on Amazon
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Oooh, this sounds interesting! I was just perusing a book entitled A Field Guide to Irish Fairies and there is an entire chapter devoted to an entity called The Gray Man. He is a particularly malevolent being and I am not surprised that you had trouble sleeping after reading this book!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I just wish it were on paperback!
It sounds very edge of your seat...maybe turn on all the lights even...
Even your review feels kinda edge of your seat :shock:
How did you do that?!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

It was so suspenseful! The whole time I was anticipating the gray man and trying to figure out what he was all about, I didn't know anything about any fairy-like entity with the same name though. But now that the seed has been planted.... I could see the relation.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I love it when books feel real. That's why I enjoy reading. Your review piqued my interest in this book. I would like to say that I will be reading this in the near future however, since joining this book club and reading many reviews, I have to say that the "near future" is getting further down the road. No complaints though I like having all these books lined up to read.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

ejcogan wrote:I love it when books feel real. That's why I enjoy reading. Your review piqued my interest in this book. I would like to say that I will be reading this in the near future however, since joining this book club and reading many reviews, I have to say that the "near future" is getting further down the road. No complaints though I like having all these books lined up to read.
I definitely know the feeling! My reading list has become longer than I ever imagined it would be! I probably wouldn't have chosen this book on my own, outside of this book club, but I am glad that I had the opportunity. It wasn't what I expected, but in a good way. I hope you enjoy it, if/when you get around to reading it! 8)
AVK2913
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Blood and Gold
Bookshelf Size: 7
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by AVK2913 »

This book sounds very interesting, especially because of the title (kind of creepy, to be honest). :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

AVK2913 wrote:This book sounds very interesting, especially because of the title (kind of creepy, to be honest). :)
Yeah, it's really vague, and then there are horror stories about some kind of "gray man" which just makes it even creepier!
:shock: :shock:
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for the nice review, ALynn. Very well written. The story sounds intriguing. I'll have to put it on my TBR list. :)
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Alynn, I love how you tackle the novella with apprehension, and are so honest in your review with what areas you were skeptical of at first. I also love how suspenseful your summary paragraph is. I am left feeling the need to know who The Gray Man is and... what happened?! lol. *adds to reading list*
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Skillian wrote:Alynn, I love how you tackle the novella with apprehension, and are so honest in your review with what areas you were skeptical of at first. I also love how suspenseful your summary paragraph is. I am left feeling the need to know who The Gray Man is and... what happened?! lol. *adds to reading list*
It is a super suspenseful story, for sure! I wanted that to be clear to everyone!
And trust me, the WHOLE time, I was sitting there going, "WHO IS THIS GRAY MAN!?!?!"
And then when I found out... whoa... :shock:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Now I want to know who the Gray Man is.....guess I will have to add this book to my reading list :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

My lips are sealed. :)
Margjohns51
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Through the Looking Glass
Currently Reading: Genius by James Gleick
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by Margjohns51 »

I like the way you reviewed this book, without giving away too much of the story line... only enough to whet my appetite. I guess I, too, will have to add this to my list of books that need to be read. Darn you! My life is dwindling before my eyes. lol.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thanks for your comment! Glad it was enough to "whet your whistle" as my daddy used to say. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”