Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rath010
Currently Reading: Forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rath010.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll

Post by rath010 »

Lewis Caroll's classic book The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland is a children's novel that focuses on the travels of a young girl, Alice through the wonderful world of her imagination. Through her adventures, Alice encounters many unique characters that seem to represent conundrums she recognizes about herself. She is exposed to adventures that challenge her thinking and promote her creativity - all the while making the reader feel as though she is a wonderful land that could truly exist for all of us.

One of the things I remember from this children's novel is how far it strays from the Disney animated film. I am a large fan of the animated classic, however the film portrays Alice's journey in a way that makes you question the sanity of Alice. The book, however, builds Alice up as a very young child who is full of imagination and has a habit of talking to herself - as most young children do. Wonderland is an imagined place of nonsense that leaves Alice frustrated and confused. Ironically, Carroll is playing on the feelings of young children as they grow up learning customs of our society which can be both frustrating, and seemingly nonsensical! I think it's a clever writing and done well by an author who has a knack for imagining up worlds.

If you have only based your opinion of Alice off of the Disney films (animated or not), I highly encouraged picking up this book and seeing how cleverly developed the story really is. "Through the Looking-Glass" is also worth a read as it depicts the idea of battle and war, as seen in some later Alice films.
Nitatsu7
Favorite Author: Robin McKinley
Favorite Book: Gai-jin by James Clavell
Currently Reading: Deerskin by Robin McKinley
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 6333

Post by Nitatsu7 »

Ironically, I was frustrated while watching Disney's variant the other day. It definitely put the angle that she was insane not the perception I got from the book. Like you were saying here, it plays off a childs views of the crazy world adults have made around them and the way a child handles situations when given very little guidance or self-help. Things can escalate quickly.
rath010
Currently Reading: Forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rath010.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by rath010 »

I think it was meant to be more of a child's dream world rather than a twisted nightmare or a drug-addled brain. Then, of course, Tim Burton gets his hands on it and it was ruined for me beyond repair!
ladybug31
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug31.html

Post by ladybug31 »

rath010 wrote:I think it was meant to be more of a child's dream world rather than a twisted nightmare or a drug-addled brain. Then, of course, Tim Burton gets his hands on it and it was ruined for me beyond repair!
Loved Alice's Adventures in Wonderland! Tim Burton did ruin it. Luckily, I watched the Disney film many years before I read the book. My philosophy professor was talking the other day about doing a class on the philosophy in Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass so I may have to reread it soon :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”