Official Review: The Devil's Bridge by Fran Connor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Devil's Bridge by Fran Connor

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil's Bridge" by Fran Connor.]
Book Cover for 2472
Share This Review

Fran Connor weaves a story as old as time exploring themes such as friendship, love, moralism and evil verses good. This book is of the historical romance genre with a heavy dose of the paranormal aspect thrown in for good measure. With paranormal, war stories, romance and plenty of action, this story has a little something for everyone.

Set up against the backdrop of two world wars, the story grabs the reader right from the start till the mind blowing climax. The tale is reminiscent of Goethe's Faust, with a modern twist. As you may recall, Faust was a scholar who sold his soul in return for the ultimate knowledge. This book deals with similar issues showing how wrong decisions can change the path that an individual's life takes.

World War I is raging on in full swing. Foxy, a Captain in the British military, and Louise, a feisty and courageous nurse, find unexpected love in the midst of all the havocs. Foxy is supposed to be in reserve till the enquiry into the conduct of a higher officer during a messy battle is over. Nonetheless he and his friend Arthur are sent with some other soldiers into a dangerous mission and find themselves in a life threating situation. A supernatural force makes an appearance and makes Foxy an offer he can't refuse: It will get them out of the messy escapade alive, if Foxy promises to do its bidding. Caught up between a rock and a hard place, Foxy has to agree and finds himself later in a deeper rut literally and figuratively. Little does he realize at the time the far reaching implications of his decision. No long after that episode, the paranormal being orders Foxy to betray his friends or to face the consequences.

Time goes on and the war is finally over. Foxy and Louise are now married and their lives revolve around family and work. Foxy tries to locate a fallen comrade, but life keeps getting in the way. The paranormal being keeps popping up at unexpected times and orders Foxy to do its bidding or the life of his wife and son will be forfeit. As another war is on the winds, the paranormal being doesn't let up and his demands keep escalating. Foxy finds out the identity of the entity and seeks a way to escape its clutches. Not an easy task by all means. A failure to do so will result in an eternal damnation, if it isn't already too late for him.

This is a novel awash in war scenes, suspense, and drama and there isn't a dull moment. The author managed to resurrect the bloody atmosphere of the time period and the mindset of the people living in those troubled times. As ominous events start to unfold, the reader finds himself immersed more and more in the story and caring about the outcome to boot. The themes found in the book encourage the reader to think about the good vs. evil conflict, choices and their consequence and how he would act in place of the protagonist.

I had a few issues with the books alas. The writing in this book flows pretty nicely, but some parts of it felt too flat and a bit dry at times. Also there were some places where the book seemed to drag a bit for me, but overall I was engrossed in the story. Towards the end of the story, some events stretched out reliability a bit too much and I found them hard to swallow. The descriptions of the poor soldiers' plight were very touching and realistic. A pity the author just alluded and didn't expand some more on the other poor victims of the Nazi regime.

But let's not get into trifles. The book has a great story line and intriguing characters that the reader can really become attached to. Moreover, the characters were well-developed and well-rounded and the author introduced a wonderful set of colorful characters such as the Jewish woman Klara, the honorable German officer Helmut and many more.

Overall I quite enjoyed the book and found it a great read. With intriguing situations coming left and right, the book managed to nettle my interest. Therefore I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of the genre and to those who like to spice their reading with Christian themes.

Buy "The Devil's Bridge" on Amazon
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Liot
Favorite Author: Hemmingway
Favorite Book: Too many favourites
Currently Reading: Morgans Passing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Liot »

Thanks for the review.

Much appreciated

Fran Connor
gali

Post by gali »

Liot wrote:Thanks for the review.

Much appreciated

Fran Connor
Thank you. I enjoy reading your book. Good luck with it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

This threw me for a second– I once read a children's book with the same title, centered around a clever old man who tricks the devil.
gali

Post by gali »

GKCfan wrote:This threw me for a second– I once read a children's book with the same title, centered around a clever old man who tricks the devil.
I am not familiar with the book you mentioned, but this book is different. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

booknerd1230
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: to kill a mockingbird
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booknerd1230.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by booknerd1230 »

This book sounds like an interesting read. I may just have to add it to my must-read-list. :)
gali

Post by gali »

booknerd1230 wrote:This book sounds like an interesting read. I may just have to add it to my must-read-list. :)
It is. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Mido1009

Post by Mido1009 »

Definitely wanna read this book
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

Thank you for your review. This book sounds fascinating and right up my alley. I will definitely add it to my must read list and get to it as soon as I finish what I am presently reading.
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you :)
A retired Admin/Mod

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Wow, I have never read one of gali's reviews, but I am glad I did. Sounds like a very interesting story. And I love it when the author of the book takes the time to show appreciation for the review. That always makes me happy as well!
gali

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:Wow, I have never read one of gali's reviews, but I am glad I did. Sounds like a very interesting story. And I love it when the author of the book takes the time to show appreciation for the review. That always makes me happy as well!
Thank you for taking the time to read now. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Illustrator

Post by Illustrator »

Looks interesting. Great review.
On my list
gali

Post by gali »

Illustrator wrote:Looks interesting. Great review.
On my list
Thank you for your kind words. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Liot
Favorite Author: Hemmingway
Favorite Book: Too many favourites
Currently Reading: Morgans Passing

Post by Liot »

It is always a risk putting one's work up for a honest review. If you want an independent appraisal I can thoroughly recommend using the facilities on this site. With the review of my novel 'The Devil's Bridge' it is obvious from reading it that it was read in depth by the reviewer. Some reviewers on some sites simply skip through and then strike as their reviews show.

Thank you to the people who have posted above and had their interest tweaked by the review.

Fran Connor

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”