Official Review: Skive by Paul Adam Levy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Official Review: Skive by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy.]
Book Cover for 2030
Share This Review

‘Deciding to rise from his slumber, he knows the world is still there
Attacking his soul, filling it with despair
Forced hate pretending not to care’

Skive is story of a man who was working in a mall for ten years. He was trying his very best not to get promoted to the higher post that had more responsibility with negligible increase in pay. Living in a single not so sweet room with a big, precious cardboard box as his only furniture the protagonist was spending his nights alone in London. The only person making his evenings liveable was Christine. Sweet and young Christine living in the adjacent room, singing the same song over and over again for hours.

His life was going like it was until his boss called him and congratulated him that he was being promoted. He had only two options; 1. To take the post he had worked so hard in avoiding. 2. To simply refuse to take this promotion and to convince his boss in a nice and educated way like adults do. So he did what he was supposed to do; he performed a happy jig by hopping between his left and right leg like a Cockney, screamed at his boss and quit. He marched out of the office with pride and honor that he hasn’t felt before and made his way towards his home in skin biting cold. After breaking door of his apartment's building, ruining some lady’s painting and having been declared a rapist he finds himself out on the streets of London with no money and no place to sleep.

Have you noticed something? Have you noticed that I haven’t mentioned for once the name of the protagonist? Well that’s what the author did, he kept us figuring his name during the whole story. Everyone he meets calls him by a different name and he keeps telling us that it is not his real name and as the story grows you think to yourself that what is this man’s name.

Making fake vodka from flushed toilet water, finding clothes among trash, entering a costume party without invitation, selling stolen tapestries, fighting security and creating a scene at the railway station Skive by Paul Adam Levi is a good fiction with dark humor that makes you laugh and also compels you to ponder over the bitter realities of life that surrounds us. I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Skive" on Amazon
Read, read & eat then read some more
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review. I would probably read this book if I could get it from my public library.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”