Official Review: God Metaphor by John Carey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Official Review: God Metaphor by John Carey

Post by amybo82 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God Metaphor" by John Carey.]
Book Cover for 2176
Share This Review

John Carey’s The God Metaphor is a well and strongly written attack on religion. The reader follows the author, God, and a drunkard as they have their own experiences and as those experiences cross over one another. It is a book that is difficult to describe because the story itself does not move much, but the way it is written gives you a beautifully clear picture of how the author feels about his characters, about religion, and about life.

The book opens with a tarot reading. During the course of the book, the author employs a variety of techniques and strategies. He quotes himself. He makes great allusions to mythology and literature. He speaks directly to the reader, and he switches between points of view. His character wakes up after a night of debauchery in a stranger’s apartment. His God is chained to a desk. His narrator knows exactly what he is doing, orchestrating these lives in his hands.

The writing is technically sound. The author masters elements like grammar, spelling, and punctuation. His word choice is excellent, and he creates vivid images with his descriptions. He creates a meta-metaphor, a metaphor about metaphors. There are both extended and succinct multiple metaphors all working together to create something larger.

The author describes his own book as self-centered, and he does not disappoint. Some readers may find his writing pretentious and pompous. However, I was reminded of Henry Miller and Charles Bukowski. Be prepared to think as you read. You are probably going to want to be beside your computer while reading this book. To fully understand all the allusions, I had to stop periodically to look some things up. I like a book that makes me think and stretch, though, so I didn't mind the interruptions.

I would recommend this book to someone looking for a book to make them think. It might also be good for an intellectually-leaning book club, as it is a book in want of being discussed. It is an excellent example of how to craft a metaphor and how to create a visual for your reader by just using the right words.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There was little about this book that I didn’t like. The writing was engaging, and the author’s attention to detail painted an artful picture. It makes the reader think and helps you expand your knowledge and view of the world. The work is eloquent and the author, though he may be egocentric, knows how to convey his thoughts with a touch of humor and gravity.

Buy "God Metaphor" on Amazon
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The author of this book sounds like some kind of philosopher. You mentioned God chained at His desk. I must admit, this is some kind of view the author has. Then again, I've met an author who portrayed God as a talking lion (Narnia!). I like your review because of the broad variety of good English. A book for intellectual minds is sometimes difficult to enjoy, but you sound like you enjoyed it, so maybe others will too.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
amybo82

Post by amybo82 »

Thanks, Leon! This was a really interesting book. I was just captivated by it at the time. I would definitely think of the author as a philosopher!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the nice review. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
amybo82

Post by amybo82 »

Thanks, Gali.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

Philosophical books that make you think are some of my favorites! But I agree they can be hard to read at times. I'll definitely be looking for this book :) Great review, by the way!
amybo82

Post by amybo82 »

Thanks, Lovely_Loreley! Looking back, I think if I read this book now, I might not like it as much. However, at the time, I was really, really into it! I go through different stages. Sometimes I like those deep thinky kinds of books, and sometimes I just want something mindless to help me escape my every day life! I hope you enjoy the book if you do read it!
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

amybo82 wrote:Thanks, Lovely_Loreley! Looking back, I think if I read this book now, I might not like it as much. However, at the time, I was really, really into it! I go through different stages. Sometimes I like those deep thinky kinds of books, and sometimes I just want something mindless to help me escape my every day life! I hope you enjoy the book if you do read it!
I know eactly what you mean about going through different stages, it happens to me all the time! Sometimes it just takes a really good book in a genre you don't usually read, to get you hooked on something different :)
amybo82

Post by amybo82 »

Lovely_Loreley wrote:
amybo82 wrote:Thanks, Lovely_Loreley! Looking back, I think if I read this book now, I might not like it as much. However, at the time, I was really, really into it! I go through different stages. Sometimes I like those deep thinky kinds of books, and sometimes I just want something mindless to help me escape my every day life! I hope you enjoy the book if you do read it!
I know eactly what you mean about going through different stages, it happens to me all the time! Sometimes it just takes a really good book in a genre you don't usually read, to get you hooked on something different :)

Exactly! I am going through a self-help phase right now, and I'm finding lots of joy in simple, straightforward books that focus on improving the mind, body, and spirit. In fact, one of my recent reviews was for a book called Love De-Coded that I really loved about improving your relationships!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”