Official Review: Child of Privilege by Ross Ponderson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CatGitane
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catgitane.html
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3309

Official Review: Child of Privilege by Ross Ponderson

Post by CatGitane »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Child of Privilege" by Ross Ponderson.]
Book Cover for 2372
Share This Review

I chose to read Ross Ponderson’s Child of Privilege because of the actual story. Usually, I don’t enjoy reading what I call ‘normal stories’, which means that are not adventure, fantasy, superhero, etc., unless they are set in ancient times (such as in 1400s) or they’re about rape, drugs, or homosexuality issues. This book had plenty of rape, murder, and bloody troubles to catch my attention.

It’s about a young woman, Dana Van Werner, who’s lived all of her life in fear along with her mother, being beaten and mistreated by her father. Despite their wealth and the perfect family image they let on, Dana decides to run far away from this miserable life behind closed doors. A chase then begins between her father, Richard, his detectives, and Dana. She meets good people, including a County Sheriff, Greg Parmenter, who will help her on the way. Through many difficulties, a final confrontation is boiling between daughter and father.

The author makes use of an elaborated vocabulary, which enriches the book and is a pleasure to read and savor. Plus, the characters are round and strong; none seems to be a tool for the plot. They all have their distinct personalities, quirks, habits, behavior, and temper! It is refreshing to read that. Her story, the way she introduces us to it and guides use throughout the reading along with the plot, is very good and a change from all the dramatic illnesses books. You catch yourself being surprised many times with twists you either weren’t expected or hoped weren’t true. This goes without mentioning the ending: one of the best showdowns I’ve ever seen. It is bloody, emotional, surprising, twisted – seriously, your emotions are in turmoil reading it. And it’s worth every second of it!

The bad points are the typos, mistakes, and repetitions one finds throughout the book. At first, it doesn’t look so bad, but when there are still a few every page or two page, it gets unnerving. I suggest an editing or another round of it, just to clear the tidbits that are left. However, the worst part is how after the first 3-4 chapters, a good quarter of the story gets boring and lingers on, taking way too long to really spur with action. Some scenes like the Red’s pub one are too long and should be cut here and there for it to flow better without boring the reader. Also, the expression ‘’pubic mound’’ is used too often along with the same frozen sentences and expressions in the book. You may have read a certain sentence 4 chapters ago, and then the same exact one comes popping up again. It is redundant.

I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 due to a good part of it lingering on and the mistakes, typos and repetitions scattered throughout the book. Nonetheless, the overall story was interesting and the showdown was better than most I’ve read. So bloody and emotionally-charged it’s worth it!

Buy "Child of Privilege" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review. I also don't care for stories that are overly ordinary. But "rape, murder, and bloody troubles" is not for me.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”