Official Review: The Secret Book of Designs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Official Review: The Secret Book of Designs

Post by tracy19 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh.]
Book Cover for 2411
Share This Review

Blaise Joule, most commonly known as BJ, is at the Red Lion Manor to fight his addiction to Vu also known as Ever a hallucinogenic drug. The rehab facility is a house filled with twelve other individuals also suffering from a Vu / Ever addiction and have decided that want to fight their addiction. The house also consists of 6 councillors and Doctor Poe who are there for moral support and to lead them through the recovery program. The program uses poetry as a form of therapy to help fight the addiction so the group meets up to speak and create poetry as well as express there feeling and there reason why they started vu and why they wanted to give it up, and they also have group sessions with Doctor Poe. While at the Red Lion House B-J takes a liking to Cecilia one of the Vu addiction suffers .W.A.S bends is another side effect of Vu where the victim hallucinates and B-J starts to suffer from W.A.S bends. As the book progresses so does Cecilia and B-J relationship and love for each other. Tragedy strikes affecting their relationship and shatters B-J’s whole world and what he knows about his life.

I am not one hundred percent sure what genre this book falls in there is some romance and drama with some mystery and tragedy.

I was not a huge fan off this book as there was too much detail that it made it a big boring after a while, the story line got a bit much after a while. At first I was frustrated as I thought the author was creating so many grammar problems, but as I progressed further in the book I found out it was just the way B-J speaks due to I side effect of Vu usage called SLI, Selective Language Impairment. The book did contain a good story line though with interesting characters.

The author has a good writing style and pays attention to detail, I would gladly read one of his books again if it did not contain so much unnecessary detail. Other than the book being a bit to long for the story line, I think the author still managed to create a good story.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves all those small details in a book. I would rate it a 2 out of 4.
Buy "The Secret Book of Designs" on Amazon
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review. I also don't care for highly unusual speech, even though it might be realistic; I find it too distracting.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your honest review. I like a good balance between description and action. This seems to be heavy on the description, so I'm not sure if this is a read for me. Too bad it wasn't very enjoyable for you. Hopefully others will enjoy it!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Grammer issues due to the side effect of Vu usage? Interesting. The premise sounds intriguing, though I am not sure it is for me. Well done on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Interesting, to use poetry as therapy, at least in this form. Can't say this is for me, but a nice review :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

@TwBookClub @Catamount2112 The Tragic Romance of Blaise Joule and Cecilia is the crux of The Secret Book Of Designs nicely woven. Congrats on being the BOTD. Well deserved. :)
Vulgate
Currently Reading: Conceived Without Sin (Pierced by a Sword #2)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vulgate.html

Post by Vulgate »

I usually dislike it when characters don't use proper English. I refuse to read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for that reason. Looks like I'll be giving this one a pass.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I'm curious about the selective language impairment as a side effect of Vu/Ever usage. That sounds like an interesting angle.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I am thankful that you were very frank about the book. The premise sounds interesting but between the grammar and the overly descriptive writing. This is going to be a pass for me. Both things tend to pull me out of a story and I read to get list not frustrated. Thank you so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I liked the cover art and title of this book and I was excited to start reading the sample after I read the blurb because the story seemed interesting and unique, but I have to say I was disappointed.
I agree with what you said, the author's way of writing made it hard to read, I just thought the book wasn't well-edited, but I guess it was meant to be that way.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

Thank you for sharing your honest opinion about the book.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
cyndibookswagbag
Favorite Author: Gena Showalter
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3591

Post by cyndibookswagbag »

I felt like there was a typo in the description of this book,
Maybe its just the way I read it " ls also suffering from a Vu / Ever addiction and have decided that want to fight their addiction. The house also"
To me it should be decided that they..... or they, it does not sound right to me, this turns me away from a book as I worry it will be throughout the book. I am also not one for Dramas, or real life type books.
Thanks for the review and book preview.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Great review! Agree with your point about the descriptions.Good to know that the book had an interesting plot with strong characters. Thank you for the well written review!
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

With the addiction issues and the setting, this book doesn't sound very interesting to me. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Good honest review. I probably would not read this book, just not a genre that I can sink my teeth into. I do love the cover though!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”