A streetcar named desire by tennessee williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jr13ramos
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr13ramos.html

A streetcar named desire by tennessee williams

Post by Jr13ramos »

A streetcar named desire by Tennessee Williams is not a novel but a play. Personally, I loved the play because of the darkness and suspense that occurs mostly throughout the entire play. Stella and Stanley have a relationship containing anger, the male being dominant like an animal, and roughness but yet strangely satisfy them both in their way of “loving” each other. Stanley (a simple class name) represents the modern time. Having animalistic values proving who stands to be the dominant one especially when Stella’s sister comes to visit, Blanche.
Blanche (whom dresses allegiant) represents traditional values but lives in mysterious wonders in the darkness. Blanche has many secrets, and the only way she can hide from the light (the truth) is to hide in the “dark” and drink through her system. Stanley does everything possible to engage her and reveal her secrets to prove she is nothing but a liar. Something massive happened to Blanche, that even looking in the mirror reminds her of the DAY!!!
A streetcar named desire is nothing but a ride of dreams!!

I recommend this play even if you’re not a big fan of them, and it is a modern play and easily to understand the metaphors, not Shakespearian!
nik_ratliff
Favorite Book: Too Many to Tell
Currently Reading: The Prince by Machiavelli

Post by nik_ratliff »

I agree! A Street Car Named Desire was brilliantly written and I couldn't put it down! Characters such as Blanche and Stanley kept me on the edge of my seat. Blanche, although seemingly traditional, has a dark past and deep insight to the actions of women. Stanley claimed to be loving, but was over the top when it came to being violent. Tennessee Williams use of symbolism in the street car on its journey was fascinating and a well portrayed insight to where desire can take a person.
andybellum

Post by andybellum »

I was smitten by Williams' writing. He was the first author to elaborate on the REAL
energy being exchanged between men and women. Maybe others had done it, but
it was so couched in references or symbolism that the effect on the reader was mute
compared to what really went down. I liked Stanley's dialogue in particular. It was corny,
but fresh. "Hey baby, stop the rebop." In Streetcar, Williams tells a familiar story. Lust
between the relatives. The story is finally told to a generation that can appreciate the
tone Williams brings to the story. It is more elaborate than a dime store novel(pulp fiction) because it takes place amid the dying grandeur of The South. But Stanley isn't buying any of Blanche's affectations. "Lots of people never touch the bottle, but it touches them." Stanley eventually drives the truth out of Blanche. "I've always trusted
myself to the kindness of strangers." It held great appeal when I first read it, but not
so much now. All the cruelty heaped upon poor Blanche seems gratuitous.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Wonderful movie too! Screen play adaption by Tennessee Williams...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think the real reason this play is so popular is because Tennessee Williams wrote it extremely well. He adds a lot of emotion and depth which is a hard thing to do while writing a play. Personally I think the plot of the story was just okay, but the way the characters are written and the story is told really makes this play stand out from all the others.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”