Official Review: The Last Daughter of Lilith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf

Official Review: The Last Daughter of Lilith

Post by Sally Balboa »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf.]
Book Cover for 2355
Share This Review

I received this book in exchange for an honest review from OnlineBookClub, and honestly I liked it. The Last Daughter of Lilith is a genre I'm familiar with and this was done well, not exceptionally but still it's worth reading.

The Last Daughter of Lilith is about a girl who doesn't believe in magic, and is completely ordinary in every sense of the word. Well, except for the whole her wishes come true whether they have good intentions behind them or not. Because of that Katrina has hidden inside of herself, retreating form everyone until there is nothing special about herself. Until her parents take off and leave a hunky boy to watch out for Katrina, they don't call unless it's to Matt. When they do come back they bring hell with them, but hell was already coming for Katrina. She was born for this battling magic stuff.

This book will not touch your soul, make you think deeply about things in life, but it is a good read for a lazy afternoon. It's highly entertaining, and it's a fun read for when you're sick of the ever harsh world.

Because this book does not have a publisher I was expecting a few errors. There were errors in this book, mostly small ones but sometimes it really threw me off on reading. Also, there were formatting issues on occasion. But these things were not as bad as I was expecting.

I like the way the book is written, it almost reads like an adult fairytale. The story line doesn’t follow like that, but it reads like that in the beginning, especially with the whole 'Katrina's magical adventure' on the cover of the book, that by the way was never explained or ever mentioned again, even though it was really odd and set the tone for the story.

The relationship between Matt and Katrina felt pretty melodramatic some of the time. They were saying things like, 'My Lover', 'The Man I Love', and a lot of other things that sounded odd. Especially since the extent of their relationship isn’t explained until later in the book, then t makes a little more sense. but till then I suppose we were supposed to just feel the love between them and accept it.

Katrina was an interesting character to read about. She just had an every girl kind of personality at times, the fear of hurting those she loves, the ned to love and be loved even if she won’t admit it, there were other very likable things about her as well. Aside from these she has some real kick-butt power behind that pretty face. I like kick-but heroines and this one was no exception.

The title of the novel is The Last Daughter of Lilith, the title is not explained until towards the end of the novel, and then it's still not fully explained. Lilith, herself is explained but the whole last daughter bit remains a mystery. I understand that there will be another book (At least there better be, I'll be mad otherwise) but the title should have been explained in this book, so I believe that another title should have been taken.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "The Last Daughter of Lilith" on Amazon
JLMetcalf2014
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JLMetcalf2014 »

Thank you so much for your review, I knew there would be errors and tried my best to have my beta readers weed them out. I truly appreciate how much time and thought you took with both reading and reviewing my novel and I will take your suggestions into my next book (yes, a sequel to the first that will fully explain the title). Thank you!! J.L. Metcalf
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html

Post by Sally Balboa »

You're welcome. I look forward to reading your next book, and it was my pleasure to read this one.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Sounds good. Thanks for the review!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I am going to add this book to my reading list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”