Review: Tell the Wolves I'm Home, Brunt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alynnes
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnes.html

Review: Tell the Wolves I'm Home, Brunt

Post by Alynnes »

There is only a single problem with this novel and it is this: I do not know how to tell you what it's about.

When people ask, I try to tell them: it's about a girl who is trying to get over the death of her uncle... But then, it's not really about that at all. It's not about trying to get over death, it's about trying to get through life; trying to figure out how to adapt, and to re-learn things you thought you already knew, and to accept "facts," feelings, and people--including yourself. It's not about a girl and her uncle either. Even within the story the girl has trouble describing her relationship with him. Saying the story is about a niece and uncle is wrong because it does not accurately describe their relationship to each other. When I try to go on and say that's it's more about her relationship with his friend, that's wrong for the same reason. If there is one thing to understand it's that relationships do fit into any one mold and, often, we do not even have a word to describe their true character or impact. For that matter, this book is not even really about the girl. Rather, it is about perspective, appreciation, and the constant fluctuation of the human experience. Readers open their hearts to the beautiful and complex characters--because we can all somehow relate to at least one piece of them-- and in doing so, we open our minds to new questions and ways of seeing, different measurements of time and place, and unique means of defining relationships. The story allows us to reflect on our own pasts with more understanding and gentleness and to try to observe others with more caution and compassion. It encourages us to see what is not: the truths within a "negative space."

Somehow, it does all of this while remaining modest, vulnerable, and approachable. It does not try to be something it is not; it is honest, not at all pretentious. It is humbling, and finishing it made me feel somehow settled and more at peace. It's beautiful; a work of art in its own right.

See? This is the only problem. I cannot tell you what it's about exactly. When you finish it, you'll somehow feel like it was about you. It'll feel like it was about your neighbor, and the mailman, and that person with whom you never quite get along. A really great story can do that-- weave you right back into the rest of the world when it's done.

Just read it. You'll learn what it's about along the way.
achallender
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achallender.html

Post by achallender »

I bought this book on a whim, and wasn't sure what to expect. The story starts off slow, with the main character, June struggling with the death of her uncle, and famous painter, Finn. What happens after Finn's death is unexpected. June meets an unlikely friend in the most unlikely of places, and finally discovers the truth about Finn's death. The book is a slow burn. The author does an incredible job of developing each character, and by the end, I was left feeling like someone had punched a hole through my chest. It is one of those books that sticks with you days after you finish it. I would highly recommend this book if you are looking for an in-depth character novel.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”