Starting a Discussion:The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alynnes
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnes.html

Starting a Discussion:The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd

Post by Alynnes »

I savored every moment of this beautiful story. I couldn't put it down, yet I also wanted it to last so much longer. I would absolutely read it again and recommend it to anyone.

For me to even begin to explain how impressive this book is in every way, I must explore the reading through a related analogy: a hive, the worker bees, the queen bee, and the honey.

The Hive represents the setting Kidd develops. Though this book was set in South Carolina and was inspired by Kidd's own childhood, the story seems to be set in a magical place- a bright pink house, surrounded by private land that hums with natural, spiritual, and familial traditions. This beautifully described place plays a significant role in the plot, as it serves as a sort of mystical paradise for Lily, geographically distant from the violence of her past, yet also so intricately woven into it.

Largely connected to the setting, the worker bees are the colorful cast of characters that Kidd with which populates her story. By involving only social misfits in her plot, Kidd removes the reader from the constructs of society, just as the pink house seems to exist in a different physical space and social sphere than the rest of the world. Though the setting and characters seem isolated from the reality of social norms, the space is entirely carved out by these standards; the very existence of this private space illuminates the social constraints that were challenging people of the 1960's: discrimination and racism, economic stability, and discrepant opinions of political structure.

Furthermore, each of these unique "worker bees" were so intricate- so deeply defined by their experiences. Kidd does well to keep each character complex, yet she gives each their own specific role- just as the worker bees would have. You have Rosaleen's stubbornness and brashness juxtaposed against her fierce loyalty and sincerity. You see Lily's sins and lies in contrast to her genuine desire to be good and to discover truth. It is because these characters are so lovable, relatable, and full of surprises that the reader becomes so loyal to them, so resolved to learn their fate.

Then you have the unexpected Queen Bee: The Black Madonna. Though she is not a living character in the story, she quickly ascends her role as the center of the plot, with all the other characters and plot twists rooted to her presence. We can understand three of the largest social challenges in the book by looking at Madonna's symbolism:
-First, we can identify the significance of the strong, independent women who dominate the story (also symbolized by the worker bee characters). The image of Madonna is sturdy and powerful. Her story displays her responsibility as an independent female and exemplifies her ability to protect herself. Yet, she is also loving and protective. She is a mother to all- the maternal figure that Lily seeks so desperately. Thus, she gives an image of modern feminism: Powerful in her own right, but also still feminine and proud to be so. The women around her display these qualities as well. Their power comes from the fact that they are women, but more specifically, they are women who can make the choice whether or not to marry or have children or leave the household.
-Another main point brought about by Black Madonna is the social construction of race and religion. From the very beginning, Black Madonna is stunningly shocking because of her dark skin. She is unlike the Madonna's Lily has ever heard of. She is exotic, but also seems familiar and welcoming. This is because Lily sees beyond skin color. Her participation in this "black religion" and her desire to be accepted by the Madonna and her Daughters- to feel "black," as it were- indicates also a hope for racelessness, a lack of any separation between race at all. Rather, she seeks belonging and equality. (We learn about this hope for equality in an atypical reverse situation- understanding that just as Rosaleen wants to be able to vote, Lily wants to be a part of this black religion and family, embodied by the figure of Madonna.) As the reader learns about the history of the Black Madonna, it becomes clear that we are to understand that religion is created and carried out by those who support its story. This is significant because it shows how society and circumstance can shape the concept of spirituality. It also shows how groups of people can challenge those constructs based on similar needs and beliefs. As we continue to learn about the religion, we also learn how it relates to Lily, specifically. Therefore, we also see how religion can become deeply personal and unique to the individual.
-Specifically, the theme of reincarnation becomes significant to the story. Just as the Black Madonna seemed reborn out of the sea to rescue her Daughters, and as she broke free of her chains each time she was taken from them, the reader sees Lily overcome the chains that bind her to her father, her violent past, and her guilt. Lily discovers new mothers and has the opportunity to reinvent her life. In this way, she is reborn from the truths she uncovers, with new ideas and new hopes.

Lastly, we have the honey- Kidd's literary voice that is as sweet and rejuvenating as the honey it describes. Kidd's word choice is delicious, her descriptions drip off the page; delectable phrases stick in your mind, left to be devoured slowly; savored. Here is the true artwork of the book, in my opinion.

To conclude, I will end with this quote by Phylicia Rashad: "Any time women come together with a collective intention, it's a powerful thing. Whether it's sitting down making a quilt, in a kitchen preparing a meal, in a club reading the same book, or around the table playing cards, or planning a birthday party, when women come together with a collective intention, magic happens." It is that kind of magic Kidd creates in this book, add to it the imaginative setting, powerful spiritual leader, and beautiful language and you have the most remarkable magic of all.
Mark_Balas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-balas.html

Post by Mark_Balas »

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The feels. The feels. The feels. Set during the early 1960's in South Carolina on the height of desegregation, the novel is about the story of Lily Owens and her search for the true meaning of family. Raised by her unloving father in a peach farm with the help of her black nanny, Rosaleen, Lily had troubles growing up. It revolves around her search for belongingness at school, in his community and also at home.

Due to unexpected turn of events Rosaleen and Lily escaped their community and went to Tiburon, South Carolina that holds secret of her mother's past. There they meet the three beekeeping sisters that took them in. They also meet the Black Madonna, who would later play a major part in Lily's search for answers.

I love this book. Amazing storytelling. An easy read. You could feel the depth of each character and how the author managed to interlock each one of them. Characterization was so good. Each chapter is started with a blurb about bees that, for me, prepared me for what I was to read. It was a cry-laugh-cry-laugh situation for me while I was reading this book. It's full of life lessons about growing up, love and acceptance. Overall, it's a must read. An easy 5/5 stars for me.

I demand a sequel. :)

Easy 5/5 for me. :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I read this book almost a decade ago, and I absolutely loved it. I can't really put into words how wonderful I felt after I read it. But I was also sad when it ended because I just wanted it keep going! I, too, would love to see a sequel. I don't have my copy anymore (lost it during a move, I'm sure), but I am suddenly getting the urge to download it on my Kindle!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
SpencersMum
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencersmum.html

Post by SpencersMum »

I too feel that this is a wonderful book. I really got into it.
vmarie+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vmarie.html
Latest Review: Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by vmarie+ »

The genre of this novel is somewhere between Young Adult Fiction and Historical Fiction. The main character Lily Melissa Owens has just reached puberty and experiences a deep, psychological inner struggle of guilt and insecurity. On top of that, she lives with an abusive father. The setting is during the time during and after the Goldwater vs. Johnson elections when African Americans were finally granted the right to vote. The situation is especially volatile in the South where racial biases run high. What attracted me to the book was its title. As a gardener, I respect the role of bees in the nature's cyclical scheme of plants. Indeed, I was not disappointed in how the theme of beekeeping is integrated into the novel, even to the extent of apiary becoming Lily's therapy for healing her emotions. The voice is first-person, Lily's vernacular. Much poetic license comprises the book, including grammar, word choice and, at times, stream-of-consciousness writing. These literary choices, however, fall aside as the strong character development and philosophical themes of life's boomerangs fill the pages. I overlook the sentence on page 146, for example, that reads, "I pulled on long cotton pants that used to be June's and August's white shirt, which needed the sleeves rolled up about ten turns." As a seamstress, I know there is sufficient fabric to construct cotton pants for a teen if the shirt, apparently shared, is oversized, but I had to read this a few times before settling on this interpretation. For those wondering whether they should read the book, I can say I finished the task in two days for this 101,500-word book. The read can be cathartic for anyone who feels he or she did not enjoy their family life as a teen. If so, be prepared to shed a few worthwhile tears.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”