Official Review: Sex, Drugs and on the Dole by Dale Bateman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Official Review: Sex, Drugs and on the Dole by Dale Bateman

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sex, Drugs and on the Dole" by Dale Bateman.]
Book Cover for 2415
Share This Review

There is no bond stronger than the bond than that of brothers, accept maybe the bond of two boys, born of separate lineage, which choose to be brothers. Most of us who are saddled with siblings only lament the burden and the frustration in which such a sacred bond carries. Knowing the gravity in which such a title as family bears, it is a rare thing to find someone outside of that circle that you would willingly step into such a serious position for. It is a special thing, and something to be treasured, when someone chooses you to be their blood. In Sex, Drugs, and on the Dole, Bateman delves into this life changing type of friendship, and uncovers how far some will really go to protect that bond, and the person to whom that bond it tied.

As a precursor to this story, Bateman includes a note stating that this work is that of fiction, and that though some of the events happened, to what degree and where has been bent to his creativity and as such the outcomes of the story may greatly differ from that of what truly happened. Having finished the story, I am more than a little curious to know what of this is actual truth and what is fiction, because what was written was penned with such conviction and heart that not only do you believe that every event happened exactly as told, but that you, the reader, are a fly upon each wall these two boys inhabited throughout the entire story. This is not to say that the author was disingenuous in his note, I am sure he was nothing but truthful in his statement, I simply am stating that my interests have been piqued since each word was so full of heart, that I myself felt that I experienced what these two boys went through, and the heart ache that goes along with such big love.

The story begins as the main character from whose point of view the story is told, Dale, arrives at school and sees what will become his chosen brother, Blade, for the very first time. Although the story is not lengthy, their relationship portrayed in it is, and spans over several years together. They spend the majority of their time partying, stealing, and overall rabble-rousing, but in between all that they found a way to form a bond so strong that it never even needed to be spoken. Throughout the story the boys are separated and brought back together again for a myriad of different reasons, but they always found their way back to the world that was only inhabited by the two of them. It is a wonderfully heart wrenching look at how love, even the unromantic kind, can bind us together in ways we don’t even notice until after it has done its work.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Aside from a few spelling typos, there is nothing that I didn’t like about it. The storyline is universal and it can speak to anyone to whose hands this book falls. Even though you may not have lived the same lifestyle or even experienced one of the circumstances that Bateman depicts in this story, we have all felt this devastatingly fantastic connection with a human being, and if not, then it is something that we desperately wish to find. I am amazed that within such a short amount of time, Bateman created such a believable world filled with believable people, and transported me to another place where as the reader, I was asked to look into my own life and see if I had taken my chosen family for granted. Not many authors can do that in 200 pages, much less in 20. Bateman is a very gifted writer and I cannot wait to see what he comes up with next.

Buy "Sex, Drugs and on the Dole" on Amazon
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
Dale_Bateman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dale_Bateman »

Thank you for the kind review, This was more then I could of ever hoped for and am greatly moved that the message I was trying to send was so kindly received. You have truly made my night.
Thanking you again,
Dale

-- 26 Sep 2014, 02:40 --

Hey Binge

I to was super nervous about putting my work up, I've got a few short stories written but Sex, Drugs and on the Dole was the first one I have ever shared with anyone.
Truthfully though if your book is anywhere near well written as your reviews and responses I don't see any reason you should worry , your book will be amazing and I would love to know when you do finally share it with the world.

If you ever have any questions or just want a random chat, feel more then free to pm anytime.

I look forward to dealing with you more in the future, you have made my experience with this website a very pleasurable one.

For some reason i could not pm you
Sincerely,
Dale

-- 26 Sep 2014, 02:40 --

Hey Courtney,

I to was super nervous about putting my work up, I've got a few short stories written but Sex, Drugs and on the Dole was the first one I have ever shared with anyone.
Truthfully though if your book is anywhere near well written as your reviews and responses I don't see any reason you should worry , your book will be amazing and I would love to know when you do finally share it with the world.

If you ever have any questions or just want a random chat, feel more then free to pm anytime.

I look forward to dealing with you more in the future, you have made my experience with this website a very pleasurable one.

Sincerely,
Dale

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”