Official Review: Getting Rich Quick: A Four Part Guide fo...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Official Review: Getting Rich Quick: A Four Part Guide fo...

Post by JenniferBoyce »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Getting Rich Quick: A Four Part Guide for the Gullible and Unscrupulous" by Thomas Ap Dewi.]
Book Cover for 2353
Share This Review

“Getting Rich Quick: A Four Part Guide for the Gullible and Unscrupulous” by Thomas Ap Dewi is a hilarious and enjoyable read featuring a unique writing tone and a marvelous host of characters. If you’re put off by the title, thinking that this is truly a self-help book, don’t be. This is a book that pokes fun at those types of books, while causing the reader to roll around on the floor laughing uncontrollably.

Dave is a poor, uneducated man. Luckily for Dave the writers of the book have selected him to demonstrate the practices that they are trying to explain to the reader. Dave is chosen to get rich quick, all he needs to do is follow a few simple steps and soon he’ll be rolling in the dough. No Dave, not actual dough. Dough is a metaphor commonly used to mean money.

I want to start this review off on the right note, by diving directly into the authors unique writing style. I demonstrated at the end of the last paragraph the way the author commonly writes throughout the story. Normally I would find that type of conversational writing style annoying and unprofessional, but I absolutely loved it in this book. I could just hear the authors sarcastic tone as he explained to Dave that no, they were not in fact going to get a tank. I found myself laughing out loud at Dewi’s writing at many points throughout the book. If you’re apprehensive about an author who ‘talks’ to the reader, I would highly recommend giving this book a shot anyway, you might just find that the authors style is humorous and enjoyable.

This book contains somewhat of a plot. As the title suggests this book follows the structure of your typical get rich quick/self help book. The only difference in this book (besides the fact this book pokes fun at the others) is that this book follows a main character, Dave. Dewi uses Dave to demonstrate points and to illustrate concepts throughout the book. I thought that having Dave as a character to illustrate the concepts was extremely helpful in my understanding and following of the points in this book.

The humour in this book was absolutely spot-on. If you have a sarcastic sense of humor then you will certainly get a charge out of “Getting Rich Quick”. Dewi expertly pokes fun at your traditional get rich quick scheme and brings easy laughter to the reader.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars due to the humour and unique writing style. While I was a little apprehensive going into this book, I found myself laughing out loud while reading. I would highly recommend this book for those with a sarcastic sense of humour or for those who are looking for a unique book that is outside of their comfort zone.

Buy "Getting Rich Quick: A Four Part Guide for the Gullible and Unscrupulous" on Amazon
Buy "Getting Rich Quick: A Four Part Guide for the Gullible and Unscrupulous" on Barnes and Noble
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

This book sounds hilarious! Definitely worth a try!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”