Official Review: Syd, the Imaginary Friend by Alice Dawn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Official Review: Syd, the Imaginary Friend by Alice Dawn

Post by Katherine E Wall »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Syd, the Imaginary Friend" by Alice Dawn.]
Book Cover for 2210
Share This Review

Syd, the Imaginary Friend by Alice Dawn is the unusual story of a unique friendship. The author, who writes under a pseudonym, found solace in an imaginary friendship during a time that was difficult for her.

The story is written in deceptively simple stanzas of rhyming couplets. Yet, if one reads between the lines, you discover the very real nature of this relationship. It was one that sustained a young person through a time of growth and demands. It is also a cathartic piece which must have helped the writer deal with grief.

The afterword helps the reader understand how this unusual relationship with Syd helped the author. But it is the beautiful drawings and photographs that really make this book a work of art. The drawings of Syd, in particular, are stunning and they evoke emotions in the reader that help us relate to the author’s joy in the friendship and pain when it ends.

Alice Dawn shows promise as an author, although this book, despite its interesting message and beautiful images may not be the best representation of her work. It is obvious that there is room for growth and development of writing skills, and if these are worked on, I am sure they will serve her imagination well. Some of the rhymes in the couplets feel a bit forced and even awkward at times. However, if the reader looks for the message and can relate to the emotions, as anyone who has lost a friend can, I think the level of poetic competence becomes less important.

I can’t wait to see what this author will be able to do with such a strong imagination as she matures as a writer. I urge her to study the craft, develop the skills, and consider delving into more complex levels of writing. She certainly knows how to explore topics which need to be examined. By developing her skills, she will be able to share her insights with a larger readership.

I would like to give this book a higher score based on the potential I see within the author; however, I think that many readers could be disappointed in it, especially based on its selling price, which is currently only available In paperback. I wonder if the author would consider developing this as an e-publication. In particular, I think she should look for ways to accent the photographs and drawings.

As it is though, I can only give it a 2 out of 4, and then, recommend it for a niche group of readers who will appreciate the simplistic style, beautiful images, and understand the grief of losing a friend.

Buy "Syd, the Imaginary Friend" on Amazon
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
CapeBretonBookLover
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Green Hell by Steve Milloy
Currently Reading: Dreamcatcher by Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CapeBretonBookLover »

thank you for writing an honest review :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”