Official Review: Looping to the Limit by Ginney Etherton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Looping to the Limit by Ginney Etherton

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looping to the Limit" by Ginney Etherton.]
Book Cover for 2318
Share This Review

Looping to the Limit is the contemporary fiction story of Lainey Tidwell, one of the few female caddies at a high-class golf resort in a small town. Though she has no personal interest in playing golf, Lainey loves being a caddie, and she prides herself in how professional and skilled she is at her job. Unfortunately, coming across more “traditional” golfers and other caddies who look down on female caddies is a common occurrence, and Lainey has to tolerate more than her fair share of discrimination and crude comments. With the help of a few caddie allies, Lainey and friends take a stand against their sexist, elitist boss and coworkers. Meanwhile, Lainey is settling into a more comfortable relationship with her perfect boyfriend, and she continues to impress golfers with her extraordinary knowledge of all the miniscule details that affect the game.

Although this book is the third in the Lainey Tidwell series, I had no trouble following this story. While there are some references to characters or events I can only assume appeared in the previous stories, this book easily works as a stand-alone novel. It even made me curious as to what exactly happened earlier on in the series. Before reading this book, I knew next to nothing about golf, but the story is surprisingly gentle regarding golf references. Even the idea of “looping” was easy to understand after the first time it was mentioned.

Looping to the Limit is a great example of how how art imitates life. I love how the characters are so realistic. They go about their normal lives, have real conversations, deal with real problems, engage in believable activities, and show understandable human emotions without any over-the-top, unrealistic nonsense. You won’t find any fantasy or action in this story. It’s very mellow, with a little bit of drama and suspense thrown in for good measure.

The author of this book is obviously very intelligent; she knows what she wants to say, and she says it flawlessly and effortlessly. Even the summary of the book is full of witty golf puns that were way over my head. This intelligence is projected into the story through the characters, who are sophisticated, yet easy to relate to. Our protagonist, Lainey, is especially easy to understand, and I feel like I could put myself into her shoes without hesitation.

The downside of this story is the pacing. It’s very slow-paced. Though the many conversations, whether recapping previous events of the story or an intellectual discussion about golf course landscaping, are interesting, I feel that they often slow down the progression of the story. It actually took me quite a while to figure out exactly what the plot of the story was.

I am officially rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. It’s smart, sporty, believable, and even a bit funny at times. Plus, there is a nice ethical lesson revolving around workplace equality sneaking around in there; no harm in getting a little reminder about that. While golf lovers, especially female golf lovers, will enjoy this book, even those of us who couldn’t point out a golf club in a sporting goods store, will find the book amusing. If you’re in the mood for a relaxing, slow-paced story at the end of a stressful week, I recommend giving this book a shot.

And don’t forget to tip your caddie.

Buy "Looping to the Limit" on Amazon
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

While I haven't read any of your fiction, it's probably pretty good. This is a well-written, insightful, detailed review. Bravo!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

hmmmm. I think I'm 50/50 after reading this review (which is great) on whether or not I want to give it a try. It sounds pretty interesting, but the slow pace concerns me. I think I'm still adding it to my reading list. If it is too slow paced I'll save it for a particularly rainy day. haha Thanks for the review!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:While I haven't read any of your fiction, it's probably pretty good. This is a well-written, insightful, detailed review. Bravo!
Sadly, I think my nonfiction is a bit more interesting than my fiction. So this is pretty much as good as it gets. Thanks for the compliment though!
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

ALynnPowers wrote:
PashaRu wrote:While I haven't read any of your fiction, it's probably pretty good. This is a well-written, insightful, detailed review. Bravo!
Sadly, I think my nonfiction is a bit more interesting than my fiction. So this is pretty much as good as it gets. Thanks for the compliment though!
You're very good at self-deprecation. :|
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:
You're very good at self-deprecation. :|
Much better than being good at self-defecation. 8)
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Ewww. Well anyway, I'm glad to hear it.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:Ewww. Well anyway, I'm glad to hear it.
:lol: :lol: glad I could gross you out today!!
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Not sure the book would interest me, but that is a great review. Very concise ... I could definitely learn a thing or two :lol:
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

ryanj1 wrote:Not sure the book would interest me, but that is a great review. Very concise ... I could definitely learn a thing or two :lol:
Yeah, now you comment. :lol:
But thank you for the compliment. I'm glad to know that you think you can use me as your mentor. :P
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. The subject matter looks interesting, but I am usually put off by slow-paced books. I do have a few relatives that are golf fanatics, so I am going to mention the book to them.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. The subject matter looks interesting, but I am usually put off by slow-paced books. I do have a few relatives that are golf fanatics, so I am going to mention the book to them.
You might recommend the first book in the series as well. I didn't read that one, but I wonder if starting there might be better? I'm not sure. This one stood on it's own pretty well. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”