Official Review: The Story of the Trees with Hands that M...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NanoWasabi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanowasabi.html
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising

Official Review: The Story of the Trees with Hands that M...

Post by NanoWasabi »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Story of the Trees with Hands that Moved" by Biju Nair.]
Book Cover for 2326
Share This Review

“The Story of the Trees with Hands that Moved” is a book about a group of people working for an unspecified company. All of a sudden, the company announces that they are downsizing, and that one of their two groups of employees will be let go. But the real bulk of the story is when one of the characters tells a tale he remembers from his grandmother, about trees with hands that moved.

This book is a lot like an egg; there’s a hard shell that you have to get through before you get to the good part. The company story is the shell around the tale of the trees. So the company devises a contest where the workers of each group have to complete a specific project, and the group which does better will be the one that can keep working. But they eventually find out that the contest is rigged so that one specific group will win. The members of the other group then talk about burning down the company for its unfairness.

Then, one of the employees tells the story about the trees. It’s about a farmer named Vest who is incredibly jealous of his brother Harv’s crops. One day, a man comes with magic tree saplings that mirror their owner’s personality, and offers them to Harv. Vest convinces the stranger to give him some saplings as well, and then he attempts to sabotage his brother’s crops, which turns out to be a bad idea. The moral is that revenge never works, and you shouldn’t keep anger inside yourself until you burst.

I think that this book was enjoyable, but it would have been better if it had just been the story of the trees. The company part felt unnecessary and undeveloped, and the characters meant nothing to me. I totally didn’t care if they were fired, but I did feel really bad for Harv when his crops were destroyed. As for editing, there were quite a few poorly worded sentences, and a couple of typos, but there weren’t enough to detract from the story.

Overall, I give “The Story of the Trees with Hands that Moved” 3 out of 4 stars. I was starting to get disappointed with the book, until I got to the tree story part. It was enjoyable enough to get me through to the end, even though there was another company part afterwards. I think that this book would be enjoyed by people who read classic folk tales, because it closely resembles that type of literature, despite being an original story.

Buy "The Story of the Trees with Hands that Moved" on Amazon
View hassle-free sample of "The Story of the Trees with Hands that Moved"
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”