Review: The 100-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pixstix
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixstix.html

Review: The 100-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais

Post by pixstix »

Saw a trailer for a film starring Helen Mirren based on this book. It looked interesting so I wanted to give the story due diligence and decided that I should read the book first before going to the theatre to watch the film.

The story is told in the first person by Hassan. The book starts with his humble beginnings in India through his rise to become a chef in Paris.

I've mixed feelings about this book as it actually feels like the story is 4 books in one: Mumbai, England, Lumiere and Paris. While each location had important plot points that made Hassan the chef he would become, my favourite part of the story would have to be his time in Lumiere. It was the most colourful, and the most focused on food. It truly showed how the main character evolved as a skilled chef, and the people involved in this portion of the story were the most fleshed out and real - such as Madame Mallory or even his father. I loved all of the fighting, and I loved the process of learning how to cook french food along with Hassan.

The rest of the story felt cobbled together. Some parts were overly descriptive, down to the colour of a cockroach's antennae. Others had new characters thrown in, only to die a few pages later to help forward the plot.

Sadly, I had high expectations for this book, and unfortunately the plot didn't feel like it really went anywhere. The main character even comments on his rise in Paris as a Michelin star chef that he had no obstacles in his way. While the author tries to make this rags to riches story, he really doesn't throw in real obstacles and the story went flat with a very anti-climatic ending.

But bonus, you do get 2 recipes at the end of the book you can try.

Side Note: I did go and see the film. They focused more on the Lumiere story so believe it or not, it's one of the first times I've preferred the film to the book!
WalnutProphecy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walnutprophecy.html

Post by WalnutProphecy »

The Hundred-Foot Journey
Richard C. Morais
To be honest, I saw the trailer before I even knew this book existed. However, when I casually browsed my frequented bookstore, I saw the newly designed cover of this book – the one with Dame Helen Mirren’s face staring at me – and I knew this was a must-read/must-buy book of the month for me as soon as I read the first words. There was some kind of magic that urged me to read on, to keep this on my shelf, and most of all, it told me to read it before watching the equally enticing film. And was that the rightest decision ever because the book seems to capture so much emotion and acknowledges the fact that although there are highs in our lives there are also more-or-less equal lows. I left the cinema of my mind, after I have read the last thankful words of Morais, with a new found acceptance alongside the longing for more of Hassan’s journey as the book reminds me how the future is unpredictable and that is what makes life so fulfilling.
The Hundred-Foot Journey is told from the point of Hassan Haji, the son of Abbas Haji. There are four distinct parts in this book that are titled, Mumbai, London, Lumiere and Paris. These titles show the journey of Hassan from one cultural society to another, from street-side bhelpuri vendor to a 3 star Michelin restaurant owner. Each destination, he loses something, something important in his life will be compromised on his journey of becoming a world renowned Indian-French chef. It is this perseverance that amazes me as a reader as it is both sad and inspirational, but most of all, I was able to share his joys and upsets throughout his 40+ year trip.
Although I must admit, I have never read other works of Richard C. Morais, judging solely from the book’s first pages, I believe he is an emotional manipulator and a visual story-teller. These two traits are essential elements for good book, I believe. He shows his capabilities through beautiful and accurate descriptions of Bombay (former Mumbai), London and France, all places visited by the former-Indian-restaurant-now-affluent Abbas Haji and his large family, through the description of smells of spices, cuisines that is so piquant you can even smell it, through complex character relationships and their unique personalities (like Madame Gertrude Mallory for example) and lastly, through the moments of utter shock and overwhelming sadness that brings you back to the confines of reality and makes you realise the harsh cruelty of life. This is the reason why The Hundred-Food Journey is high on my (perhaps limited) favourite books list. Yes, the food and mentor theme has been done to death (some compared this book to the animated movie, Ratatouille), however Morais’s clever and albeit cunning emotional jabs at the reader wins it all for me, wins all three Michelin stars. I cannot wait to read his other book, Buddhaland Brooklyn.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Ah, here is another film that I did not know was based on a book! I enjoyed the movie, so I will have to add the book to my extremely long reading list.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”