Official Review: The Conspirators by John Owen Theobald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Conspirators by John Owen Theobald

Post by Misaela »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Conspirators" by John Owen Theobald.]
Book Cover for 2041
Share This Review

The Conspirators is John Owen Thobald's tale of the boy that started World War I. Gavrilo Princip, 19 at the time, shot and killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife while at a procession. He was consequently imprisoned and put on trial, but he never saw coming the full consequences of his actions. The novel was published on the 100th anniversary of World War I, and it helps people that were not directly impacted by the conflict by shedding light to the subject. This is Owen's first novel.

Personally, I had never thought to read a story based on WWI, or on the event that led to it. At school, this Great War was discussed as something big, important to our history and very, very fundamental to remember, but I never gave it much thought. My true interest had always been WWII. But John Owen Theobald's story was so well written and compelling, I was lost in the story.

This story, instead of just focusing on the general aspect of the conflict, trial and imprisonment, went through a very personal route. One one side, we saw the thoughts and struggles of Pfeffer, the man in charge of compiling all information regarding the assassination for the trial. The person I could relate him most to was Javert (from Les Misérables). This is because Pfeffer struck me as a person deeply rooted in his convictions and his job. While Pfeffer wasn't as zealous as Javert, the story showed his determination to find out every grain of truth.

On the other hand, you saw flashbacks of the people who plotted this assasination. They involve a deep sense of patriotism, nationalism, and hated toward the responsibles for their present predicament. There is some romance involved, and a lot of love. Some characters are following the ideal of a greater Serbia while enjoying the luxuries of life and reading revolutionary books, while others felt compelled to take action because of the conditions they have lived in. It showed me the different feelings and motives that drive a person to commit a desperate action, and the unforeseen consequences of these.

I did not "feel" this as a debut novel, and that is very good thing. The language used seemed appropriate for the time and place, and all characters were incredibly developed. I was shown different points of view, introspections and the inner fears of every character, as the beginnings of the Great War started to unfold. I am pleased to rate this novel with 4 out of 4 stars.

I do hope you get a copy yourself, and immerse for a while in history.

Buy "The Conspirators" on Amazon
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

This sounds like a fascinating book, thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

It was! It's one of the topics I'd never thought of reading, yet loved.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”