Official Review: Instant Karma by Donna Marie Oldfield

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Official Review: Instant Karma by Donna Marie Oldfield

Post by Little House »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Instant Karma" by Donna Marie Oldfield.]
Book Cover for 2231
Share This Review

I loved the last book I read by Donna Marie Oldfield, so when I saw another book of hers up for review, I jumped at the chance to review it. I was not disappointed. Instant Karma is another great book.

Sienna is a 28 year old single woman who is alone in the world. There is no one who really cares about her, but she has enough money to make up for that fact, or so it seems until Adien comes back into her life. Sienna finds herself in the middle of a dispute over whether or not to allow the building of a large new development in her neighborhood. On the one hand she owns the land and wants to make money from it, on the other hand it will totally change the neighborhood she has just moved into. Her neighbors (including Adien) don't like it, but her bosses don't care what the locals think. Then there is that pesky Karma; it keeps giving her what she deserves. Sienna finds herself at a turning point in her life. The decisions she makes now will change the rest of her life, but will the change be for the better or worse?

While Sienna was a very believable character, I had a hard time liking her. She didn't really care much about other people and I found it hard to relate to her, but the good news is that I don't have to relate to the main character of a book in order to enjoy the book. Sienna may be 28 years old and may have gone through a lot in her life, but she manages to grow up a lot in the course of this story. She also becomes more likable as the story goes on.

I found some of the events brought on by Karma a bit over the top. It wasn't just that bad things kept happening, but that after a point they didn't add much to the story. Karma is not something that I have heard much about here in small town America, but it was interesting to see what Sienna thought about it and how it changed her.

I did enjoy the ending of the book. About two thirds of the way through the book, I thought that it was a pretty predictable book and I knew how it would end. Truth be told, I was pretty close in my predictions, but there were a few twists that I didn't see coming. I find a book more enjoyable when I don't know exactly what will happen, and this book had an enjoyable ending.

The story is set in England and written in British English. This is not a problem, I understood most of the idioms used, but occasionally there would be one I only understood from context. This is what makes it fun to read British English though, you get to learn something new.

This is a great book for adults who like light romance, light Science Fiction, and a realistic story. There is a bit a language and the characters are older and dealing with adult life so while some older teens might like the book, I doubt that it would be a good fit for most teens. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is a well written, fun to read story.

I hope that Donna Marie Oldfield keeps writing, because I love her work.

Buy "Instant Karma" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
dmoldfield
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dmoldfield »

Thank you for the review Little House. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”