Official Review: Mind Games by Dorian Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Official Review: Mind Games by Dorian Smith

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mind Games" by Dorian Smith.]
Book Cover for 405
Share This Review

Anyone ever read a book that started out too ordinary that it was bordering on boring, but after the first "quarter" not chapter; it got too good that you got very excited!. That is what happened to me from this book. I seriously didn’t like it up until the first quarter had passed. But then something happened to the story when it took a sudden left turn that it got me reeling and feeling very excited cause I have no clue to what would happen next. So of course an incident like that; made rating this book very hard.

This book is not intended for young adults due to some sexual content. Its Genre is Romance, Suspense and Thriller. It’s a third – person narrative. The author intends to make this book the first installment of a series. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Michelle Beauford had been with Brad Albercht for almost 5 years. She thought he loved her above everything else and that she was his number one priority. But still he hasn’t proposed to her, and didn’t seem he ever would. She assumed it might be his chance to propose when he surprised her by planning a vacation together in Japan for two weeks. But all their plans went out the window the moment she met Kenji, a man who pretends to work in imports and exports, but he truly is a significant member of the Japanese Mafia called the Yakuza. Within all the chaotic events, she completely lost herself, but in losing herself, she found what she really wanted in the most unconventional ways, surrounded by one of the most unconventional men.

I always say that if the first chapter didn’t grab my full attention, then the book isn’t good enough to spend my time on it. Well! This book falls perfectly under the saying "to every rule there's an exception". Because although the first entire quarter was too ordinary that I was too close to getting bored; I actually LOVED that book, I didn’t regret ever finishing it. If I haven’t finished the book, I wouldn't have known the message and I wouldn’t have enjoyed the character development and analyzing. I rated it 3 stars, because although i loved the story and the message, i still found too many flaws that wouldn't be fair to put in under the 4 stars category.

Some of the things I consider plus points in any book; are the way the background is inserted, and the filling of the main character's inner thoughts that gave them more depth, and also the aroma in the air that was filled of confusion and suspense from middle to finish that created a feeling of uncertainty that was wonderful to me, and the way the heroine was analyzing her current situations and how to best deal with them, and the very unexpected turns the story took that just made me sit on edge waiting for the next turn. And finally, to link with the characters in a story that’s narrated in third-person is a sign of the author's great talent in writing and communicating with the readers.

But of course I also found some minus points; the pace at first was excruciatingly slow, then it got a little better towards the middle, then great at the end. There were some spelling mistakes, but not a lot that would cause disturbance. As I mentioned above; the beginning wasn’t good at all, there were many unnecessary details about her work and the dates were just too confusing for me, and the first couples' relationship was too ordinary, plus their cheesy dialogue was getting too much for me. But all that didn’t affect my opinion or my affection towards the message.

In most books there are messages, some you can relate to, some not. This book's message was so good that I loved it instantly, because I felt that it was so true and so possible for anyone of us to experience it in our lives but of course in different situations. I interpreted the message as "life isn’t always black and white" you see in the middle; many shades that you don’t care to admit.

So falling in love with the right or wrong person doesn't always have to be as clear as day and night, it could be somewhere cloudy in between. There could be great people, but they are entirely wrong for you and the opposite. So when you fall in a situation that makes you learn this message the hard way; you start to know the true identity of yourself that leads you to see the beauty and strength within yourself. I definitely recommend this book for readers who have the patience to wait for the good parts.

Finally I would like to praise the author on her special book; I will definitely be waiting for the next installments. I loved the story with all its ups and downs and its twists and turns. And I look forward to reading from her again.

Buy "Mind Games" on Amazon
Buy "Mind Games" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”