Official Review: Looking for Alex by Marian Dillon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Official Review: Looking for Alex by Marian Dillon

Post by sahmoun2778 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking for Alex" by Marian Dillon.]
Book Cover for 1805
Share This Review

The plot summary of this book first caught my attention. A teenage girl, Alex, has disappeared and her friend Beth is looking for her. What I expected was a kind of police investigation type story but this story was completely different from what I was expecting and surprisingly wonderful to read.

The story takes place in two different decades. Alex runs away from the home in the late 70’s but Beth is looking for her in 2013. The story goes back and forth between the events in the past and the event in current time. Alex had been gone for a couple of weeks when she gets a message to Beth that she is in London. Beth then lies to her parents and takes off to London to find here and try to bring her home. During her stay in London she falls in love, finds herself living in a squat and discovering the reasons why Alex ran away in the first place. Her attempts to persuade Alex to come home fall on deaf ears. Beth goes back home but a few weeks later takes off again because she misses Fitz. One morning her parents show up unannounced and drag her home. Alex has disappeared again. Beth’s life does a nosedive for a few years as she deals with the loss of her best friend and her first love.

In 2013 Beth has a successful business and is in London doing a training when she runs into Dan, a younger cousin of Fitz who she remembers from her “summer of love”. Dan gets her back together with Fitz who renews her interest in finding out what happened to Alex. The ending was not quite what I expected but if you want to know you should read it for yourself.

This book was very well written and I really liked the author’s style. There were only a couple of typos and the book was not only easy to read but a very engaging story. The way the author went back and forth between past and present kept me engaged and wanting to know what was coming next. This book does a good job of fleshing out the main characters and bringing in “extras” at appropriate moments. There is enough introspection on the part of the main characters to allow you to know them but not so much that you feel bogged down by their thoughts. There is also a real sense in the story of how choices we make affect not only ourselves but ripple out to impact the lives of others.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars as I really enjoyed the story. I would be happy to read other books by this same author.

Buy "Looking for Alex" on Amazon
Buy "Looking for Alex" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”