Official Review: Wings: The Journey Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Official Review: Wings: The Journey Home

Post by Reading lady »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wings: The Journey Home" by Elizabeth and William Hicks.]
Book Cover for 29
Share This Review

Wings: The Journey Home by Elizabeth and William Hicks is a novella that everyone should read. The title can be taken both literally and figuratively.

The story starts with a young eaglet that is just learning to fly. On his very first attempt he is caught up in a strong wind as a storm blows in. In his inexperience he does not know how to ride the wind out and thus has an accident that drops him into a farmyard with a damaged wing and a head injury that causes him to lose his memory. He is found by a young chicken (actually he is male thus really a rooster) who immediately befriends him and takes him to his mother to be fixed up. He beseeches his family to adopt him. They just think he is a weird looking chicken so agree to take him in since he doesn't know where he is from.

The young eaglet, Ben cannot remember how he got there or what came before but he struggles with the habits of the chickens, knowing they don't feel right. The food is not filling so he takes to killing mice, and he longs to fly but is told this is not proper for chickens. One night he is out walking and pondering his situation and he meets up with an owl who asks "Who... Who... Who are you?" and they have a very interesting conversation. Thus begins Ben's journey home.

Along the way he encounters other creatures that open his mind to more thoughts and ideas to think on and all the while his wing is healing. His friendship with the young chicken strengthens and he also has a strong desire to help all the chickens who are plagued by "the egg robber". You must read the book to find out how the story ends.

This book was amazing and I have rated it 4 out of 4 stars. The story is well written and captures your interest from the very beginning. It flows along well and the characters are realistic and enjoyable. There is also some suspense to keep you reading. Plus of course we want to know what ultimately happens to Ben. But what delighted me most was the life lessons, the thought provoking ideas presented to the reader about LIFE. I have been reading books on self-awareness and thoughts on what leads to a happy life and it was so surprising to find such deep thoughts in this little book that coincided with the writings of many of the leading experts in this field.

This is a book that could be read by children to learn the surface or obvious lessons (ie. be yourself) but I would also highly recommend it to all age groups to follow Ben as he learns the many life lessons we all need to be aware of. I intend to read this book again and again and highlight the core messages of the book. I hope they have written more books like this one. Excellent! Must read book!

Buy "Wings: The Journey Home" on Amazon
Buy "Wings: The Journey Home" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”