Official Review: Whispers of a Soul by Chantal Emmenis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Official Review: Whispers of a Soul by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis.]
Book Cover for 2211
Share This Review

Emotions are something we all have but usually have great difficulty describing. Whispers Of A Soul by Chantal Emmenis is an anthology of poems which takes you on a whirlwind adventure experiencing a vast array of different emotions and states of being allowing you to stop, feel and savor each one which, in day to day life, we may not typically do. It gives us a snapshot into the intimate musings of the authors and our own soul, with stirringly apt metaphors which really touch the heart in such a way that even if you have never experienced similar emotions you can begin to understand and empathize with those experiencing them.

In the collection there are a variety of themes which take center stage such as death, love (including fresh, new, passionate and even lost and unrequited love), loneliness, depression, friendship (both broken and new), family and god. These themes do start to become rather repetitive as you approach the second half of the collection but in my opinion it just allows for there to be a poem for everyone and most of the feelings you may be experiencing at the time of reading.

My personal favorite poem was Better Off Alone as I felt it really encapsulates how I feel the majority of the time and my main insecurities. Each poem is very personal and intimate with some being quite confronting if you are currently or have recently been through some difficult times. There were many times during reading that I had an "ah ha!" moment from what I was reading being able to describe exactly how I felt.

The overall collection is fairly good but there was one major issue which kept coming up which was the irrelevant references to Christianity and god. I do not appreciate it when an author is unable to remain neutral. In my opinion the prevailing Christianity themes will polarize audiences and did not add much to the overall anthology. There were also quite a few typos which I would normally try to ignore but it is a pet peeve of mine when there are typos in poetry as I feel it throws off the flow.

Overall I give Whispers Of A Soul by Chantal Emmenis 2 out of 4 stars due to the Christian themes putting me off but there are still plenty of other poems that I would happily read again. As with anything there are positives and negatives and in this particular case I would only recommend this collection of poetry to someone who is either Christian or would not mind the rather regular references.

Buy "Whispers of a Soul" on Amazon
Buy "Whispers of a Soul" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Thanks for a great review. It sounds like a book I could gift to a few people this holiday season.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”