Official Review: The Dirt Bible by Wiilliam Woods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ghostpixie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostpixie.html
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Official Review: The Dirt Bible by Wiilliam Woods

Post by ghostpixie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods.]
Book Cover for 2133
Share This Review

I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect when I started reading The Dirt Bible. An author by the name of William Woods wrote this very interesting book, which was published in June of 2014. While a quick and easy read, The Dirt Bible is fascinating nonetheless.

Woods’s novel tells the story of a young man named Jesse Crest. Jesse is a carpenter who lives on his own after his parents’ death. All Jesse really seems to do is make things out of wood, smoke weed, and buy new pet fish when the old ones die. That’s it. That’s his existence right there. Well, until he hears a report on the radio about the goings-on and tribulation in the Middle East.

The news bulletin strikes a chord in Jesse, so to speak, and he spends hours upon hours in his work shed, dismantling the cabinet he’d been making for a neighbor, and turning it into something else. We don’t find out what this something else is until a bit later, but when it is revealed, for some reason this thing (called the Trick) makes everyone go, apparently, crazy. Seriously.

People come from all over the world to see this thing, to worship it, to literally bow down before it. Jesse has no idea what he’s done, and no idea how to stop it. Understandably terrified, since there are now flocks of people outside gathered around this thing and since some of these people literally burn Jesse’s house down, the guy hunkers down in his shed and tries to wait it out. You’ll have to read the book to find out what happens, of course, but let me just tell you- it’s an interesting ending indeed.

Now, I’m not sure what the point of all this was. The summary for The Dirt Bible states that Jesse is more or less on a mission to rid the world of religion completely. So my question is this: how is his creating something in his work shed supposed to rid the world of religion completely? Apparently it worked, but… how? Why? These are questions I’d have loved to find out the answers to.

This book was very well written. Some might find it to be a bit dry, but I really think that works for the story. I liked the fact that we as readers are let into Jesse’s mind completely, experiencing his tumultuous emotions throughout the novel right alongside him. The only qualms I really have with Woods’s novel are what I’ve already mentioned- how did Jesse’s creation work to rid the world of religion, and why?

I am giving The Dirt Bible a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I would give it a three, but I don’t feel like it’s developed quite enough for that rating. However, it certainly deserves higher than one star.

Check out The Dirt Bible, and see what you think. I certainly recommend it.

Buy "The Dirt Bible" on Amazon
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”