Official Review: Happy Grey Hair by Chris Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Happy Grey Hair by Chris Wilson

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Happy Grey Hair" by Chris Wilson.]
Book Cover for 2154
Share This Review

When an African book is written, especially by a non-African, there is a delicate balance that it needs to reach in order not to portray a ‘Westernised saviour complex’. This book aptly treads this line and I found it quite a pleasant read.

Happy Grey Hair is a book of fiction written by Chris Wilson and is in the form of a play. It is set in an unspecified village in an unspecified country in the West of Africa. The play mainly revolves around a grandfather, Udo and his two grown Grandsons Chike and Eze.

The boys and their grandfather have an uncomfortable relationship which borders on open animosity. The grandfather is portrayed as an old man who wishes that the younger generation held closer to the morals of the older times, and he sees his grandsons as having no respect for their elders, and having no work ethic, being lazy and only wanting to get their hands on easy money. On the other hand Chike and Eze see their grandfather as interfering and nagging and always wanting to tell them what to do. Other important people in the play are the grandson’s friend Hunter, who is as his name specifies, a hunter. He is a hardworking individual and is also constantly advising the two grandsons to change their misguided ways. There is also Uzo, a village elder who is a friend of Udo, as well as Ngozi, the household help and Udo’s confidante.

What happens in the play is that the grandfather tries to put a plan into action that will turn his grandsons into upright men that he can be proud of. The grandson’s, on the other hand, think that they know their grandfathers plan and try to outsmart him. Although I enjoyed reading the play, I found that the characters of the grandsons Chike and Eze were too similar with no distinguishing characteristics of their own, usually agreeing with each other on every issue.

Although the characters and storyline were quite simple, the theme of the play is the conflict between African cultures and morals and the western lifestyle that has started permeating in all areas of the world. Another thing to note is that the language of the play is relatively expressive and not how we would usually converse in our normal language. This is because African language in general is very expressive in nature. Living in Africa I can assure of this.

On the whole, the play was simple, yet captivating, and it gives people an inside look on how a common village in the West of Africa operates and the challenges that face the people living there, and for this reason I will give this book three out of four stars, and I would encourage readers who want to understand the changing dynamics in African countries regarding the culture, respect and values that are entrenched in African Societies to read this book. They will then understand how the younger generation are going through a complex period in which they must try to hang on to the precious culture and morals of their forefathers, and at the same time move forward with the rest of the world.

Buy "Happy Grey Hair" on Amazon
Buy "Happy Grey Hair" on Barnes and Noble

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

The title of this book really caught my eye for some reason. Anyway, it's great that you were the one to review this as you know the demographic in which this book takes place. It would have been really hard for me to review this in the same way, as I live in the US and have never been anywhere in Africa. Great review!
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Yes, when I saw that it was a book written about Africa I knew I had to be the one to review it.
People not living here might diminish whole continent to the same stereotypes, yet those who live here know that it is so vibrant and different. Each country and tribe and people having their own distinct ways and features.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”