Official Review: The Messenger (2): Purgatory and Beyond

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: The Messenger (2): Purgatory and Beyond

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Messenger (2): Purgatory and Beyond" by Paul J Miller.]
Book Cover for 2164
Share This Review

The Messenger 2: Purgatory and Beyond by Paul J. Miller is the second book about a man that goes through what can only be perceived as a midlife crisis and is chosen to receive and deliver God's messages to anybody and everybody alike. I had the pleasure of reading the first book and loved it so when I got wind of the second book I was very excited to read it and continue the adventure of Paul Miller.

In Summary of the first book:
Paul Miller, a middle-aged man going through a rough patch in his life is chosen to deliver God's messages of him returning. As he begins this journey he quickly makes friends who believe him and are willing to back him as he makes his way, event to event, making followers and enemies, spreading the word of God.

The second book picks up with him and his crew in Israel. While visiting a historical church, he is offered a once in a life time chance to go on a journey to visit a friend that passed from his life too soon and learn some very valuable lessons. His friend, Bob, takes him back to Purgatory with him to stay for a short visit and to see how things really work when you die. While in Purgatory, Paul is given the chance to grow and better himself as his friend is given charges to mentor and becomes very close with them. As his journey comes to a close, the angel that is there to guide them, takes him up to heaven to visit with old friends, animals and family from his past, before finally returning to earth, surprising his waiting friends.

As the story was coming to a close I was hoping for a third book, my interest in the journey of Paul Miller has only grown and with the cliff hanger at the end of the story, I was left with a very big smile on my face. The story, like the first one, was full of emotion when they were sad I felt, when they were happy I felt it. It was very easy to connect with the characters, for the old characters, it they felt like old friends. Through parts of the story both happy moments and sad moments alike I felt myself tearing up. The characters from the previous book continued to grow and the new characters were also very well developed. The story was very descriptive and it was very easy to picture the beautiful scenery as described.

There is only one issue that I had with the story. Grammatical and punctuation errors. They were rather annoying and hard to get by. I would read and reread the sentences with errors and with some it became eye-rolling. However I didn't feel that it detracted for the story. For all the errors, the good parts far out weighed the bad.

I rate The Messenger 2: Purgatory and Beyond a 4 out of 4 stars because it really was an amazing good. The story gave you something to think about and was just a great and fairly quick read. I will be sitting on the edge of my seat until the next part becomes available. I would recommend this book to all readers!

Buy "The Messenger (2): Purgatory and Beyond" on Amazon
pjmiller
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by pjmiller »

Thank you for reviewing my second book. I was afraid that it might be reviewed by someone that did not know the first book.
It was because of your review that I continued to write the second book.
You can always get your friends and family to compliment you, but when it is reviewed by someone that you don't know and writes reviews for a book club it is so much more rewarding. For anyone that is interested in knowing more about the book please follow the link at the bottom of the review to get a better idea of what the story is about. When I wrote it, I felt I was writing more about the relationships and friendships that were developing than pushing any religious agenda. I tried to develop the characters somewhat like the TV show "MASH" in that no matter where you are, you can always develop good relationships with other people; even if your in Purgatory. No one knows what happens when you die, this was just my own interpretation of what it could be. I hope you check it out.
Thank you again for the review, I hope to have the next book out sometime this fall.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I really can't wait to read the 3rd book! The characters are my favorite part. :)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the lovely review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kelleymarie93
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kelleymarie93 »

Found out the second Messenger book came out last week. I ordered the kindle version and read it last weekend. I loved it. The angel in the book is so cool. The story was very interesting, especially the part about the little boy. The book made me think a lot about what happens when someone dies. I laughed, I cried and I have totally fallen in love with this book series. Can’t wait for the next book.
Kelley Marie
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I don't think this is my kind of book but as always you write an excellent review and synopsis.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”