Official Review: "The Cemetery Sleeper" by Susan Griner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Official Review: "The Cemetery Sleeper" by Susan Griner

Post by JenniferBoyce »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cemetery Sleeper" by Susan Griner.]

The Cemetery Sleeper by Susan Griner is a delightful paranormal adventure. This story keeps the reader captivated with a thrilling storyline, yet brings up points about love and loss that will linger with the reader long after the pages have finished turning.

Freddie is a young boy, forced to move in with his aunt and cousin after the death of his mother. Freddie is rather unhappy at his new home, made all the worse by the mysterious ghost, Tump, who is haunting his dreams. Freddie, with the help of his cousin and friend, set out to banish the ghost before he takes Freddie’s life.

The plot in this book is very engaging. The storyline keeps the reader hooked to the pages, waiting to see whether Freddie will make it through the story alive and whether the friends will be able to banish Tump’s ghost. The plot is fast-paced, leaving a lot of mystery and intrigue until the very end, ensuring that the reader stays glued to the pages.

The characters in this book were all lifelike and easy to relate to. Each character, Freddie in particular, display raw emotion and human ideas that resonate with the reader. It’s easy to picture each of the characters as your average everyday kid, dealing with the problems that face children all over the world.

The message in this book is strong, yet subtle. The book deals with topics of love and loss, that of Freddie losing his mother and coming to terms with her death. This is an important concept for children, or adults, to understand and this book presents the issue in a unique and sensitive manner. This is definitely a book that will captivate the reader and once they get to the end or have finished reading the story, they will understand how important it is to let someone go and live life.

Griner writes in a manner that is perfectly suited for this genre of story and age group. She writes in a manner that introduces real emotions into the characters and depth into the story, yet makes sure that the message and story can still be understood by young audiences. I very much enjoyed her style of writing and will be on the lookout for other works she has written.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars due to the marvelous storyline and important message. I would highly recommend this book to any young (or old) reader with an interest in paranormal adventures. This would also be a good book for a young reader to read to understand about loss and death. I will definitely be recommending this book to some of the younger readers that I know.

Buy "The Cemetery Sleeper" on Amazon
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

Well written review. I'm just wondering, when you say younger reader are you thinking middle school?
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

May I ask how you read this? (Ebook, paperback, etc..) I loved your review and wanted to put it on my list to read, but am unable to find it :( . Thanks!
cduggins17
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cduggins17.html

Post by cduggins17 »

I agree, this is a very well-written review; it certainly makes me want to read the book. I also am curious as to the age of the young reader you suggest it is written for. Depth of character is often times lacking in literature for young readers, because they seem to focus more on plot. This seems to have both with an exciting plot to boot! As a future high school educator, I'm always interested in new books to introduce to them.
SGriner
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SGriner »

The book is intended for 10-12 years old, but does appeal to older readers.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”