Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
marta_monteirinho
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-monteirinho.html

Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Post by marta_monteirinho »

One of my favorite booktubers is constantly talking about The Darkest Minds and how fantastic it is and when I read its synopsis I knew I had to get it, so I bought it during my trip to New York this past month. I’m not gonna lie, I had a hard time getting into this book, but after the first 80 pages or so I couldn’t put it down and it was frustrating when I had to.

The Darkest Minds is the first book in a very promising trilogy and it follows a girl named Ruby, who is our protagonist. When Ruby was ten years old, a new plague affected all the children between 8 and 14 years old but somehow she was able to survive it. However, the ones who survived this plague developed special abilities and are considered dangerous, so they are sent to kind of concentration camps. Ruby is one of the most dangerous ones and, now sixteen, she has managed to escape the Thurmond, her camp, and joins a group of kids that have managed to escape their camp, as well.

I really, really, REALLY liked this book. It has everything I look for in a story: brave and intelligent female character, extremely attractive love interest, very interesting plot, among other aspects.

I love Ruby. She is so strong, loveable and kick-ass for someone who’s been held in a camp for six years straight. If you haven’t noticed yet, I love a great character development and Ruby developed so much since the first pages of the book. She goes from being this little girl who can’t stand up for herself to this freaking leader and queen of everything who kicks some ass throughout the book and learns how to control her powers and, ughhhh I loved her character so, so much.

And Liam – oh God. Ruby is not the only one who’s falling hard for him, I can guarantee you that. He is kind of the Leader of their mini group and manages to be so sweet and down to earth that it’s impossible not to like him.

Their relationship got me giggling all the time while reading the book. Ruby and Liam’s first encounter is so natural and I was smiling so much. It’s very realistic and there is no insta-love; everything happens very slowly. There are no forced or cliché conversations which I was very glad about.

Also, I need to talk about my favorite character, who is obviously Chubs. When I first read his name I was not picturing him as the author described him and I quite enjoyed the irony of the situation. He is so adorable and funny but at the same time very strong even though he doesn’t look like it.

The villain – I was not expecting that. I can’t talk about him for obvious reasons (it would ruin the whole book for those of you who haven’t read it yet) but my jaw literally dropped to the floor when I found out who the bad guy is and yours will too.

Summing it up, The Darkest Minds is an amazing and dark novel that is beautifully written and has a fantastic and extremely interesting plot. Alexandra Bracken created a terrifying dystopian world that I would personally be seriously so afraid to live in. This one is a must read.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Dupication
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.