Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
marta_monteirinho
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-monteirinho.html

Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Post by marta_monteirinho »

I must admit, I’m a sucker for Vampire Academy and when I finished Last Sacrifice this past January I decided that I had to read Bloodlines. So I ordered all the four books and when they came in the mail this week, I was thrilled to finally own them.

Bloodlines is the first book in the spin-off series of Vampire Academy and let me just say that I had pretty high expectations for this book and oh my. It has not only matched my expectations but also overcome them.

The story in this book is told from Sydney’s point of view. Yes, Sydney the Alchemist. It turns out that Jill, the sister of the Moroi queen, Vasilisa Dragomir, is being attacked and she’s the one who has to protect her while going into hiding to a boarding school in Palm Springs.

We had already met the four main characters from Bloodlines: Adrian and Eddie in Frostbite, Jill in Shadow Kiss and Sydney in Blood Promise. I loved the whole storyline that goes along with this book and I may have liked it better than Vampire Academy.

While this last one is narrated by the awesome badass character Rose Hathaway, Bloodlines has Sydney Sage as a narrator. Since I’ve read Blood Promise, I’ve always admired Sydney and I loved the whole Alchemists concept and being able to learn more about them. I’ve heard some people saying Sydney is a boring narrator but I wouldn’t say that about her. I feel like she’s the perfect narrator for this series, she has so much potential and she’s such an amazing character, so intelligent, polite and educated. We can also observe her character development throughout the novel, along with Adrian’s.

I don’t know about you guys, but I fell in love with Adrian’s character right after he showed up in Frostbite. He is absolutely perfect in this book. He delivers that idea that we all had about him after we met him of being a rich Moroi and party boy while deep down inside he still has his heart broken by Rose. I absolutely adored the chemistry between him and Sydney and you can tell that they’re going to have some kind of involvement in the next books in the series. In a certain way, Adrian and Sydney is the perfect match – they complement each other and balance each other out. While reading Bloodlines, you could see Adrian’s character being influenced by Sydney’s and it’s obvious that they have grown to care for each other.

The quartet – Sydney, Jill, Eddie and Adrian – is so fantastic. I think they’re going to be amazing throughout the next books and I can’t wait to read more of their adventures.

At the end of the day, you can always count on Richelle Mead to write books that make you laugh while being serious and she has managed to do that perfectly in this book. Bloodlines is so entertaining and the plot was so amazing. If you’re a Vampire Academy fan, definitely continue to explore the world of Richelle Mead and pick up this book. The ending is so dramatic and I cannot wait to start reading The Golden Lily.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Duplication
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.