Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore

Post by sflaherty42 »

I had heard so much about this book and wanted to read it so badly because of the description (and, hey, who wouldn't love a 24-hour bookstore?) but I just couldn't stay invested. I was into it in the beginning, but as the story went on I started to lose interest. I stuck with the book to the end but was ultimately disappointed. Did anyone else feel this way about this book?
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
emilykatherine
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilykatherine.html

Post by emilykatherine »

You are not alone-- I felt the exact same way. I wanted to like it so much. I even thoroughly enjoyed the plot line for the most part, but the execution was messy and made the book so much less appealing. The book does, however, glow in the dark-- so it stays on my bookshelf. (:
erinmiddleton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by erinmiddleton »

I recently read this book and it became an instant favorite. I felt the story line was engaging, and the characters were relatable. I understand how some might get bored or find it difficult to stay invested but my curiosity really got me into the story.
SPReader16
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spreader16.html

Post by SPReader16 »

I also felt more engaged with the earlier part of the book than the later part, but I finished the book within 24 hours. I liked how the story addressed the shift of learning and knowledge from paper and books toward technology, and interwove the two together. However, I feel that the technological aspects of the story caused me to enjoy the novel less. That is probably only because I am a little old school and like the smell of books. I was not entirely sure what to expect when I picked up the book. It felt a little bit like well-written fan fiction to me the way it incorporated fantasy literature references and role playing games. I do not plan to read it again, but I would definitely recommended it to the right person.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”