Bringing up Vasu:That first year - Parul Sharma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reshmi
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Our Lady of Alice Bhatti
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reshmi.html

Bringing up Vasu:That first year - Parul Sharma

Post by Reshmi »

I had bought this book and read it a few years ago. At that time, my elder brother had just had a baby and I had found the book hilarious. More so because I used to hear similar stories from my brother on his experiences with his baby. Very recently, I re-read this book when I was ready to welcome my first child into this world and believe me it gave me a fresh perspective all together. 

This book is thoroughly entertaining, specially for first time parents. All the new experiences which a first time parent goes through is described in such a funny and humorous manner, that you actually enjoy the experience more when you go through it yourself. For example, the time when the protagonist Mira tries to check her weight immediately after delivery and is shocked to see that not much has changed, is something I guess every new mom would have done and the reactions would have been similar as well.

Coming back to the story line, 'Bringing up Vasu: That First Year' describes the events that happen in the lives of Mira and Anand when they start a family. The language used is simple and funny and I am sure all new mom's would be able to relate to Mira's idea of trying to be the supermom to Baby Vasu. There are some weird and funny characters as well like Mira's two single gal pals and the antagonistic neighbor. Of course ,we will also be able to relate to another of Mira's friend who is always showing off the accomplishments of her kid. I am sure most of us would have met such a character in real life as well.

First time parent or not, believe me this book will have you in splits. I simply loved this book and have recently bought Parul's latest book as well. Will definitely post the review of that book very soon.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”