Any shopaholic series fans here?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Any shopaholic series fans here?

Post by raindropwriter »

Hi, has anyone read the shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella? I'm a huge fan of Kinsella and shopaholic series is like a good relaxing series. 8) I especially loved the Mini Shopaholic book. :lol:
carrielee0718
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrielee0718.html

Post by carrielee0718 »

I only read the first book. I enjoyed it as just something to read on a flight. I didn't realize it was a series. Would you recommend the others?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the series and enjoyed it. It is a light read, but at times it is all one needs.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

It's not usually my thing -- I tend to go more for the gritty genre stuff -- but I enjoyed it. Like gali says, it's a nice light read, with some funny moments. I did occasionally get annoyed at the protagonist for not thinking things through all the way, but in the end, I have to say I admired her spunk and determination. And I would definitely recommend the others, especially as books to read on a plane. They'll get you through the flight quite nicely.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
raindropwriter

Post by raindropwriter »

carrielee0718 wrote:I only read the first book. I enjoyed it as just something to read on a flight. I didn't realize it was a series. Would you recommend the others?

Thanks for replying. I have read ALL books of Sophie KInsella except the ones written as Madelline Wickham.

I would always be partial in my opinion when it comes to recommending something by Kinsella. All I can say is you would not regret reading them. Other parts also contain Becky's lively attitude towards life and Luke's love for becky. In spite of being a series each part is unique from the other. :D

-- 12 Jul 2014, 11:51 --
gali wrote:I have read the series and enjoyed it. It is a light read, but at times it is all one needs.

I agree with "at times it is all one needs". This exactly describes my attachment with this series. They have made me more relax, carefree and I no more hesitate in expressing myself. I have learned to love myself to no limits after reading Shopaholic series and Can you keep a secret. :P

-- 12 Jul 2014, 11:55 --
RussetDivinity wrote:It's not usually my thing -- I tend to go more for the gritty genre stuff -- but I enjoyed it. Like gali says, it's a nice light read, with some funny moments. I did occasionally get annoyed at the protagonist for not thinking things through all the way, but in the end, I have to say I admired her spunk and determination. And I would definitely recommend the others, especially as books to read on a plane. They'll get you through the flight quite nicely.

Oh I feel one should read at least one book by Kinsella in their lifetime. :oops: Yes at times Becky gets too unreasonable especially I do not approve of her hiding things from Luke. He is one perfect man and I don't think anyone else can become like him when it comes to supporting and loving your other half in all situations. My love doubled for Luke in Shopaholic and the sister. :oops:
Reshmi
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Our Lady of Alice Bhatti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reshmi.html

Post by Reshmi »

I have not had a chance to read the shopaholic series of this author but I have read the book called 'The Undomestic Goddess' from the same author and I have simply loved it!!!
raindropwriter

Post by raindropwriter »

Reshmi wrote:I have not had a chance to read the shopaholic series of this author but I have read the book called 'The Undomestic Goddess' from the same author and I have simply loved it!!!

Every book of hers is worth reading. I loved undomestic goddess too. :D
BBKelly2106
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bbkelly2106.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by BBKelly2106 »

I have read the entire series. This series is great for anyone looking for a relaxing, comical, feel good read. Each book is enjoyable on its own but the series allows the reader to follow the adventures of Becky Bloomwood as she experiences adulthood, marriage, children and other unexpected family events. Becky is relatable as the "heroine" of the series and the books make for an easy read for any seasoned reader who wants to laugh and put life's problems aside for awhile.
raindropwriter

Post by raindropwriter »

BBKelly2106 wrote:I have read the entire series. This series is great for anyone looking for a relaxing, comical, feel good read. Each book is enjoyable on its own but the series allows the reader to follow the adventures of Becky Bloomwood as she experiences adulthood, marriage, children and other unexpected family events. Becky is relatable as the "heroine" of the series and the books make for an easy read for any seasoned reader who wants to laugh and put life's problems aside for awhile.

Very well described. I feel there's a little becky in every girl, some choose to let it free some don't. :D
jeff1962
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff1962.html
Latest Review: "The Vilcabamba Prophecy" by Robert Rapoza
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by jeff1962 »

I have only read a couple of the books of the Shopaholic series and enjoyed them. I also saw the movie they made based on the first book and was extremely disappointed. The first book I read of hers was "Undomestic Goddess".
Latest Review: "The Vilcabamba Prophecy" by Robert Rapoza
IamSherlocked2018

Post by IamSherlocked2018 »

Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series is always able to put me in a good mood no matter what.
JennyS
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennys.html
Latest Review: "Sugar Scars" by Travis Norwood

Post by JennyS »

I've read all except the most recent Shopaholic in the series (is it out now? Has anyone read it?) and enjoy them as a light, quick, and fun read. I've also read several of her other books and a few as Madeleine Wickham-- they're all delightful!
Latest Review: "Sugar Scars" by Travis Norwood
Smorris1219

Post by Smorris1219 »

The Shopaholic series is one of my guilty pleasures--perfect for an afternoon at the pool. I do also enjoy Kinsella's stand-alone writings as well as her novels as Madeline Wickham, but i can never remember which books were authored under which name. Twenties Girl, Remember Me?, and Can You Keep a Secret? were all hilarious, but the Gatecrasher, a Desirable Residence, and the Undomestic Goddess have been my favorites so far. Does anyone know when Shopaholic to the Stars is coming out?
bunnypeach1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunnypeach1.html

Post by bunnypeach1 »

I have read all of the shopaholic books! They are really fun relaxing reads and some of the only books that have made me laugh out loud! The perfect series to de-stress with, and don't we all wish that we could marry a rich guy just as our financial troubles are becoming unbearable! Other Kinsella books are also good I loved Twenties Girl too!
jassj

Post by jassj »

I have read all but the last book of the Shopaholic series and find it a good relaxing book, her comic writing always makes a good laugh, I have not yet read one book of hers that isn't worth reading.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”