Official Review: The Listless by Steven Mohr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
toshilou
Favorite Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshilou.html
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
fav_author_id: 5235

Official Review: The Listless by Steven Mohr

Post by toshilou »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Listless" by Steven Mohr.]
Book Cover for 593
Share This Review

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

The Listless by Steven Mohr is a fictional novel about a group of friends in their twenties who decide to bring back their college indie band after being offered a record deal to do one last tour. They spend the tour stopping to perform at venues that are old favorites.

I’m going to start out by saying that the book is not bad, but I didn’t find it particularly good either. The novel has a wonderful storyline and plot. However most of the time it didn’t really hold my attention very well and I found myself eager for the book to be over. I think the main problem I had with this book was the writing style. It just didn’t seem to flow right; there would be times that the author would stop an idea a bit too abruptly and immediately move on to another. There were many flashbacks in the beginning and middle of the book as well. Sometimes I’d forget where I was in the timeline and I wouldn’t know when a flashback ended and where the present began.

Regardless of how much I disliked the language and writing style, Steven Mohr has potential. I would definitely try reading a newer book of his. The Listless is Steven Mohr’s first published work, so it should be expected that there will be at least a few faults. I believe that as he publishes more novels he will become a MUCH better writer.
I also had a bit of a hard time figuring out the intended audience of this book. At times, it felt like more of a Young Adult novel, but at other times it seemed more like it was written for adults. I think it was meant for those few years of early adulthood, just after the end of the young adult years; when people are still making the transition from teenagers into adults.

I only rated this book two stars because, as I mentioned before, I didn’t hate it, but I wasn’t all that fond of it either. I would definitely recommend it because it has a big twist at the end that teaches a pretty valuable lesson (which I’m not going to spoil for you :wink: ). I think the book would be perfect for people in the early years of adulthood and people who know anything or are interested in Indie music (something I don’t know much about... :roll: )

I don’t limit my recommendation to just those people. No matter who you are, the book does have a good lesson to be learned at the end.

Buy "The Listless" on Amazon
Buy "The Listless" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”