Official Review: The Rising by Glenn A Edwards

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Official Review: The Rising by Glenn A Edwards

Post by SidnayC »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rising" by Glenn A Edwards.]
Book Cover for 1322
Share This Review

Five seconds into finishing this book, my first initial thought was that I immediately wanted more! I was not ready for it to end as abruptly as it did. The Rising is truly a hidden gem that delves into the wonderful world of the supernatural and I am so thrilled I was able to read it.

This book follows on from book 1 in the balance series where beasts under the mind control of evil Bigfoot creatures (yes I said Bigfoot!) have caused chaos and destruction in their wake and managed to wipe out a great deal of the human population. Now six months later is where this book begins with the residents of America now trying to adjust to a new life after the attacks, with raven haired beauty 'sheriff' Mary Hatchfield at the center of it all. But from the whispers around, the evil Bigfoots led by Fang-tooth have not finished their deadly revolt. So Mary accompanied by a virtuous Bigfoot named Jumping-Buck and Tausha are on a journey to stop them before life as they know it, is no more. In the wake of Fang-tooth army's most recent attack against the humans, the few survivors from each state reunite inside the super-cool automobile M.A.R.B.L.E set to avenge their loved ones and the country which is crumbling before their very eyes. F.Y.I, I now want my own M.A.R.B.L.E because that is some kick-ass machinery!

I didn't have to read the first book to fall completely in love with The Rising. The author offered enough back story for me to be able to follow exactly what happened and how it had subsequently affected the lives of the characters in this book.

I was so captivated by Edward's writing style. It just seemed to flow effortlessly from page to page with witty and comical dialogue, vivid descriptions and heart-felt characters. Because of this I was able to overlook the few typo's I managed to spot and completely engross myself in the scenes. His power to evoke emotion in his readers by the way he describes particular scenes made me feel like I was watching a movie playing out in my head as I read. Very few authors I've read possess that quality.

I absolutely loved one of the main characters -Mary. Brains and beauty are just a few words that can be used to describe her. She is a brave, strong-willed, no-nonsense sort of heroin. My favorite line of hers which sums up her character so well, was when she said in response to if she were ever attacked, that "You'll hear me shoot before you hear me scream,". How completely kick-ass is that! Oh and it doesn't hurt that Mary also possesses the ability to communicate with animals and control their minds which she takes advantage of in this book to produce some hilarious events. I loved Mary's relationship with Jumping-buck, it was so sweet and endearing to read. It almost made me wish her and Jumping-buck got together romantically because I could see how much of a nice couple they would make.

What really made this book for me was the action scenes. I was literally hanging on to my seat in suspense every time I encountered Fang-tooth and his posse of destruction against the humans. I cannot describe how much I enjoyed the author's switching between the P.O.V of fang tooth's clan and the humans they sought to reek havoc on. Normally the back and forth between characters P.O.V can get very confusing, but in this book it was necessary and executed perfectly. It allowed me to connect with many of the attacked characters and feel their plight. My favorite line in the entire book was when one of the characters Destinee was attempting to run from one of the Bigfoot's Nightshade. Destinee 'with the strength of a desperate mother.... jerked back on the vault door the last few inches and pulled it closed.'

I loved the author's concept of using Bigfoot as the main mythical creature in this book because it offered a unique take on the genre of sci-fi and the supernatural which is now so obsessed with vampires and aliens. Although I was skeptical having read the first initial pages, unsure whether the story would be able to be engaging and believable, as I read on the book completely redeemed itself with the author's captivating writing style and his ability to make even Bigfoots with their powers and conniving smiles to seem so intriguing. Looking forward to the next book to see the conclusion to this story! With that being said, I am happy to give this book the 4 out of 4 stars it clearly deserves and would definitely recommend to all those supernatural lovers who love action and well-developed story lines and characters!

Buy "The Rising" on Amazon
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”