Official Review: Like a Shag on a Rock by Vaughan Humphries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Official Review: Like a Shag on a Rock by Vaughan Humphries

Post by David Dawson »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Like a Shag on a Rock" by Vaughan Humphries.]
Book Cover for 2101
Share This Review

Like a Shag on a Rock by Vaughan Humphries is a comic romantic novel following the life of Tom, an everyman figure, who moves in with his friend John after the break-up of his relationship with Janice. The novel deals with the ups and downs of their friendship and their relationships with women, as well as with their third housemate the mysterious South African barman Pieter, whose bizarre relationship with his girlfriend Anna and her father Theodore provides much of the dramatic tension in the novel.

The title may need a little explaining for US readers (apologies if it does not and I am being patronising). Or at least for US readers who have not watched Austin Powers. Ostensibly it refers to the bird, the Shag, which is to be found alone on a rock, indifferent to the world around it. It is used in the text by another character to criticise Tom’s behaviour but, of course, there is a slightly childish joke at play. Shag in Britain is a common verb meaning to have sex, used as a less offensive, softer version of the f word. In the biological context only. Although there may be regional exceptions I have never heard the expression “shag off”, for instance. The joke might be a little childish, but it is an immature joke with a serious literary pedigree. I am sure Christopher Isherwood was being similarly provocative when he employed it in his famous poem The Common Cormorant.

And, to be honest, it made me smile. It is funny. As, indeed, is the rest of the book. It would be an exaggeration to say that it provoked convulsive laughter at any stage, but there are plenty of wry smiles to be had. Perhaps even the occasional chuckle. That is just one of the many praiseworthy things about the book.

The three main housemates are from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and the expatriate experience is dealt with engagingly and thoughtfully. It is set in Oxford and the evocation of that city is very good, clearly written with knowledge and not a little affection. The numerous pop culture references invariably work. The characters and the dialogue are naturalistic, with the possible exception of Janice who is a little too much of a caricatured nightmare girlfriend. This may have led to worries about the gender politics of the novel, were it not for the skill with which Humphries disassociates himself from the characters through whose perspective we witness all the action. As when Tom is either congratulating or bemoaning his own financial prudence, and Humphries sends up both his miserliness and his inconsistency (squandering money on a gym membership he uses to take a shower. Once.)

The book does have flaws. At the beginning it is slightly overwritten in places. After the first sentence (“Just as sure as Earth hurtles through space in its inexorable orbit around the sun at 67,000 miles per hour while simultaneously rotating on an axial tilt that is perpendicular to its orbital plane, Thomas Benjamin Harding retched with an alarming velocity into the glistening porcelain in front of him, his knees perpendicular to the floor beneath his feet”) I was a little worried. I need not have been. The author seems to relax and, thereafter, it is mostly well-written.

It can be a little Pooterish at times. Generously, you might say that it is satirising the mundanities of existence. In reality, the author is crowbarring in a rant about, for instance, self-service tills that is more akin to a generic observational stand-up routine. A similar problem comes when the three housemates hold a barbecue and Humphries describes the food on offer. He does so very well (I was quite hungry reading), but at great length and I was unsure how necessary it was.

To do the reader advisory bit, as might be inferred from the title, the book can be a little rude at times; characters and author both swear liberally but appropriately. You would hear far worse in any pub or playground, and most workplaces. Likewise the occasional drugs and frequent sex references stay within most peoples’ frame of reference. For me, I would have no problem if my parents said they were reading it, I might struggle if a grandparent did.

The positives far outweigh the negatives in this well-constructed, humourous novel, which is realistic, funny and, without wishing to give anything away, resolves all of its loose ends. It is also very well-paced. Many of the books encountered through this site can be a little on the short side, this takes exactly as much time as it needs to say what it wants to say. As such it comfortably receives 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Like a Shag on a Rock" on Amazon
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the nice review! I like books that make me smile. Overall, it sounds like a great book despite its slight flaws.

Congratulations to the author for the positive review! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the explanation for the Shag, otherwise I don't think I would have understood the significance! Also, thank you for the warning about character who are rude and swear. Generally, I'm not a fan of such a book. However, the other parts of the book sound intriguing.

I'm glad you still enjoyed it despite the flaws! Congratulations to the author for a great review! :D
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, balanced review. I am glad you generally enjoyed the book. I like humorous books so I am going to give this one a second look.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I love that this book made you smile and the explanation about the bird shag. I have only heard about the slang usage. Great review.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Congratulation on a great review. Have added the book to my reading list.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
sullwyn39
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sullwyn39 »

I know exactly what you meant about the writing in the beginning - my god even trying to read through that sentence you quoted was exhausting!! I don't like writing like that.. it's too hard to read and I get so frustrated trying to get through books like that. Good that it didn't stay that way through the whole book! Great review!
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

Honestly, I was hooked by the first sentence, LOL! I don't know why but it just sucked me into the writing... I do appreciate that you reviewed this honestly though. "...this takes exactly as much time as it needs to say what it wants to say." I felt such a sense of relief when I read that. & I totally agree that these books are a rarity.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It doesn't sound like my type of book, but the explanation about the bird was interesting :)
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”