Official Review: The Move by J Bee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Official Review: The Move by J Bee

Post by castor »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Move" by J Bee.]
Book Cover for 1909
Share This Review

The Move is a fiction story written by J. Bee. The theme of the book is family, adult and family relationships. The book describes the life of four different families. Each family is in a very different phase of their life. The only thing that connects them is a move to a new house and to a new phase of their life.

The first family is the Minerty’s. Caroline and Colin got married after the death of Colin’s first wife and Caroline’s divorce. Caroline and her two kids moved in Colin’s house after the marriage. But things are going really well. Caroline have never felt this house as hers and had problems with Colin's daughter, Sophie.

The second family is the Haddingtons. Dan and Emma are married for over 20 and have two daughters. Things are not going well between them lately and decided to separate. Dan accepted a job in Edinburgh, his hometown, so he is moving out. Their house is too big for Emma so she is looking to move to a smaller apartment.

The third family is the Enfileds. Olivia and Tim have 3 kids and a very busy life with their works and kids. A fourth baby is not planned, but it happens and changes their life. They now need to move because their house is small for a family of 6. It is small even for 5.

The fourth family is Gemma and Paul. They are young and living with Paul’s parents. They are planning to get married and move into a new house. But their plans are changing after the sudden death of Paul’s mom. Now they are still moving but Paul’s father is moving with them.

The writer narrates the everyday life of the four families, their past, their plans, their feelings, their problems having as a common ground the move to a new house. It covers the period before the move, the day of the move and one year later. It is a book about daily family life, the problems that arise, the good times, sad and happy events.

The book is short about 160 pages long. The characters are everyday people and are well described by the author. The pace is slow and doesn't have many surprises. What I liked most from the book is that it takes time to describe the places. I liked also the story of Dan and Gemma, life is difficult and you have to make compromises, but it’s good when you take what you want and fulfill your dream. What I found I little bit annoying was the many details of daily life and the slow pace.

I am between two and three stars. It is not a great book, but it is ok and it covers many aspects of life. I give 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "The Move" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”