Official Review: Addison's Mark by Matt Kuvakos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Addison's Mark by Matt Kuvakos

Post by Misaela »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Addison's Mark" by Matt Kuvakos.]
Book Cover for 1946
Share This Review

This is the story of Sam Addison, and his journey to be found by God. Since he was a little boy, Sam earned how to tune out God. His father was a pastor and was constantly preaching the Word. His mother was crazy, claiming she saw angels and other supernatural beings that were supposedly following her son.

The Story

One day, after Sam’s father went preaching in the jungles and took Sam with him, they both woke up bound and gagged in an unknown part of the wilderness. Some people, speaking Spanish, told the father to shut up, and killed him right in front of Sam. Then, they told Sam to just go home. Miraculously, Sam was able to return safely, much to his amazement and annoyance. Everyone was talking about the miracle boy, and how God had a higher purpose with him. This just made Sam angrier; how would God, if He existed, would let his father die, his mother go crazy and die, and leave him all alone in the world without a clue?

Addison is living in Phoenix, Arizona and working at Hunt’s, a supermarket that’s about to close down, when he meets a lovely girl, Ashlin. She just happened to be the daughter of the people’s candidate for the presidency of the United States, Marcus Ammon. This girl becomes a reason to hope, to be happy, and to strive for more. For the first time in a long time, Sam feels like he belongs with someone. But things were not going to be easy. Sam starts having visions, and after one particularly real, he wakes up with a scar on his wrist, looking remarkably like the number 7. This scar, Ashlin, Marcus, and a strange being he keeps having visions of will forever change Sam and his way of seeing the world.

My Opinion

This was a remarkably complex story, and I was surprised it was Kuvakos’ first novel, at his 24 years, no less. I felt very attracted to the story because, personally, I can relate to the feeling lost, of doubting it there really is a God, or what does He want with me. The characters were very well developed and dynamic. Sam’s transition and change of heart throughout the novel was realistic and believable. I caught myself many times thinking the story was real and waiting to see Marcus’s campaign on the local news. Also, (I will try not to spoil too much) there were two characters with names I should not mention (for fear of said spoilers- those who know a bit about religion would instantly recognize them) that I loved. Their involvement in the campaign, and with Sam, was needed and appreciated.

As for Sam’s visions: I felt like I was reading about the real Heaven and Hell, and their constant war. Even though you cannot really see those places and events in your everyday life, they were described in a perfect detail.

This is an exciting, illuminating, spiritual read fit for everyone. I fully recommend it to religious and non-religious people alike, and especially to those going through a rough time in their lives. It was my pleasure reading it, and I hope everyone that reads this review goes straight to the links provided and get a copy themselves. I rate this 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Addison's Mark" on Amazon
Buy "Addison's Mark" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”