Brooklyn - Colm Tóibín

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melrose226
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrose226.html
Latest Review: "Victory Blvd." by Sameer Ketkar

Brooklyn - Colm Tóibín

Post by melrose226 »

Skillfully written, deceptively simple, and incredibly thought provoking. I'm not usually one for "coming of age" stories, but I had to find a piece of Irish literature to read for an honors English assignment, and this one popped up and seemed to fulfill all the requirements. I had no idea what to expect from it, but I'm glad I found it and glad I read it. The story is simultaneously sweet and sad, and the writing style is flowing and smooth, with a lot of emotion packed in simple prose. It was a quick and easy read, as well, and if it sounds at all interesting to you, I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Rating: 4 1/2 stars, only because I wasn't sold on the ending.
Ravenmount
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 16854">The Glass Bead Game</a>
Currently Reading: Fear
Bookshelf Size: 2228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenmount.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by Ravenmount »

I've been wondering if it is worth yoinking my sister's copy of this one to read (and casually replace on her shelf when I finish reading it). Irish and a quick read sounds like a great combination :)
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
melrose226
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrose226.html

Post by melrose226 »

As I said in my review, if you're in the market for a quick and entertaining read, this is a great choice, especially if you're at all into Irish history/literature. I think I went through this book in one or two afternoons, so it's certainly a breezy and casual choice of novel. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”