Official Review: Awakening by R V Biggs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
vsc_vet_tech
Favorite Author: I have a few.
Favorite Book: Hard to narrow to one
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsc-vet-tech.html
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Official Review: Awakening by R V Biggs

Post by vsc_vet_tech »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Awakening" by R V Biggs.]
Book Cover for 1916
Share This Review

Awakening by Robert Biggs (R.V. Biggs) is a week long story of one women’s emotion, psychological, and physical journey. This is a first novel by Robert and is planning on writing a sequel. He is from England, where this book is based, and has a passion for mental illness. He helps children and young adults with mental illness.

Sarah, a women in her early thirties, is in a marriage that has lost all physical and emotional attraction. One morning she wakes up and has had enough of her husband, Steve’s, lack of respect and appreciation of her. She does all the house work and he shows no thanks. He would rather go down to the pub then spend time with her. He also has been checking up on her lately, like he does not trust her. He always wants to know where she is or has been. After one night, in which he came home and passed out on the couch, after a night of drinking, Sarah had enough of this and snapped. She and her husband have a big fight and she does not see him for days.

In addition to the loveless marriage, Sarah has been beginning to lose time during the day. She will remember falling asleep in the chair in the living room and waking up in bed the next morning. Or she will be leaving work and the next she knows she is sitting in her driveway, with no recollection of how she got home. At work she is also loosing time, but all her work is getting done. With these losses of time, sometimes she dreams of this mysterious man and hears his voice. She thinks she knows him, but is not sure from where. She eventually finds a picture of him in a photo album, but still does not remember his name.

This dream man begins to invade her daytime hours as well. She starts to see him on the street, but he does not seem to be completely of this world. Sarah thinks that he is translucent and can walk through a crowd without being seen. She seems to be the only one who is able to see him. Along with the visions of this man, Sarah hears him talking to her. She begins to think that she is going crazy and so do her friends and family.

There are a lot of twist and turns in the story line that you do not see coming, at least not completely. There is some hinting at plot points that you later find out are true, but you are still intrigued. After you find out what is going on in Sarah’s head, you fall in love with her as a character and are cheering for her through the rest of the book. You feel like you are going through all the same emotions that Sarah is going through and are fighting the same battles.

I would give this book a 3 out of 4. I would give it an additional half rating, if I could. I enjoyed the book, but I am not sure that I would put in in my top books of all time. I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys psychological books with a touch of mystery. I have to mention that there were a few grammar errors that I found and this is a pet peeve of mine, so I am taking that into consideration on the review.

Buy "Awakening" on Amazon
"A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

Great review. I love psychology, and that is often reflected in my reading list. I may look into this one more in the future.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”