Official Review: The Bold Investor by George Thomas Clark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Bold Investor by George Thomas Clark

Post by Misaela »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bold Investor" by George Thomas Clark.]
Book Cover for 1063
Share This Review

The Bold Investor is a collection of various short stories (38 in total), all with different characters and plots. In it, the author presents the points of view of many people that, in my opinion, have almost serious issues with their minds. When reading it, I saw that Edgar Allan Poe may or may have not been murdered by a sort of ‘frienemy’, why aliens want Bakersfield to be the best city in the world, and I met a seriously weird, and potentially murderous art collector. Various alcoholics, abusers and history buffs also made appearances.

For reviewing purposes, I chose 3 stories out of the 38 to make specific observations on (I don’t want to seem too vague, or spoil the other 35, so I hope I chose well!):

1- Book Tour

A man, that wrote a book about World War II, published it independently, after being rejected several times. He is currently on a book tour, and the French hate him. His depiction of France’s involvement in the war is insulting, to say the least, to them, and they are, quite publicly and openly, stating their opinions of the author at a reading.
I liked this author’s attitude, because he chose to publish an inconvenient truth, in order to tell his story. He was, however, a little too impulsive with his answers. Apparently, he didn’t mind that the readers hated him, or wanted to hurt him (physically and mentally), so long as his story was read. It was a good story, but I could not grasp what G. T. Clark was trying to show, or why this character was so adamant in showing this kind of book to a public that did not want to hear it.

2- Michoacán

A woman, originally from Michoacán, México, left her abusing husband and took their three kids. The husband travelled to Michoacán, convinced that she escaped there. When she is not at every place he looked, he is sure she narrowly escaped him. He searches everywhere, until, from a taxi, he sees someone ducking, and pulling three kids.
I was in a fair state of panic, trying to help the woman escape from that man. His thoughts only had me wanting to put a restraining order on him, so I empathized with the wife and kids.

3- Prosecution of Thomas Jefferson

A very important figure in the United States from our present time has the opportunity to question Thomas Jefferson about his involvement with the slave cause in his presidency.
Said US official (I won’t mention who, so as not to ruin anyone’s fun trying to find out) was very eager to find out the truth. I liked that his methods of repercussion were akin to Jefferson’s time and frankly, that Jefferson was exposed (fictitiously, of course…)

My Opinion and Rating:

All in all, it was a varied collection, and some of the stories and characters were entertaining. I think I enjoyed The Collector the most. Unfortunately, my rating has to be 1 out of 4 stars, because I simply cannot recommend it. Maybe it was because of my personal taste, but I had to struggle reading every story, and more than once had to start reading one from the beginning, all over again. The language was very vague; as a reader, you had to assume many of the things happening, even who was talking at the moment. Since most of the narration seemed like inner musings of the main character in a particular story, I could understand that dialogues would be fairly difficult to understand. Even so, it felt to me like the author wrote every story on a rush, eager to put into paper his thoughts. Most of the time the endings were abrupt, but not to suggest something. They seemed like the author just stopped his line of thought and moved on with the next short story.

I cannot recommend someone to read this, because it seems to lack editing and more thought. The author should revise these stories, and maybe develop a handful of them, to make them more substantial and appealing.

Buy "The Bold Investor" on Amazon
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I know how hard it is to write a review on a book of short stories, and how much harder it is to give a low rating. Thank you for an honest review.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

Thank you for reading it :). We depend on honest reviews, both as readers and for writers, in order to do better works.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”