Official Review: School Mornings Make Mummy A Bit Bonkers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Official Review: School Mornings Make Mummy A Bit Bonkers

Post by PashaRu »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "School Mornings Make Mummy A Bit Bonkers" by Alexis Jackson.]
Book Cover for 1885
Share This Review

If you have kids, or have ever been a kid (and that includes everyone, I think), you’ll be able to relate to School Mornings Make Mummy A Bit Bonkers, written and illustrated by Alexis Jackson. This is a big, bold children’s book with big, bold, colorful illustrations. It’s available on Amazon as a download (rather large at 11407kb) for $2.99.

At only 18 pages, this is a book designed to be read with/by young children. (Amazon notes that it is for children ages 3-6.) Each page is illustrated, and all but two pages feature one full-page illustration. The text is boldly imposed over, under, or within the illustrations. The dedication is “For my little angels/devils, xxx” so one would assume that Ms. Jackson has first-hand experience with the subject, and this is perhaps somewhat biographical.

This is an affectionate look at a normal, frantic morning in a two-child household, where “Mummy” is trying to get both of her young, uncooperative children up, fed, and ready for school. The story is told in first person by the daughter. We never learn her name, but her brother’s name is Matthew. We also do not learn which of them is older, but there doesn’t seem to be a large disparity of age between them.

The morning starts, of course, with Mummy trying to get her two children out of bed. She starts with a soft voice, which yields no results. Then she “roars” at them, “Out. Of. Bed. Now!” The accompanying illustration shows Mummy stretched to her full height, face raised, mouth open, eyes closed, and tongue out, giving the appearance that she is singing an aria rather than yelling at her children. We follow the events of the morning as the children eat breakfast, chase each other, dance, brush their teeth, roll around on the floor, play music and squabble. Mummy does a lot of yelling.

I found some of the language to be humorous. For example, when Matthew does not want to get out of bed, he “scrunches himself into a giggly ball and makes blow-off sounds with his mouth.” The daughter decides to play her recorder to make Mummy feel “less rushy, but it’s really hard to make my recorder heard over her voice. I play louder.” This, accompanied by an illustration of Mummy – you guessed it – yelling. Matthew tells his sister that she has a “big doughnut-head,” and then bites her nose! When Mummy finally gets the children outside, we are simply told, “Matthew is giggling. Mummy isn’t.”

For reading instruction, the vocabulary is fairly simple and easy. There are no difficult words or complex sentences. However, the text is presented in a variety of fonts, and sometimes it is written diagonally instead of horizontally. This is pleasing to the eye, but for small children just learning to read, this may make it more difficult.

The language point in this book seems to be the words “nearly...instead.” “Nearly” is always written in bold italics, and appears several times throughout the story. (“I nearly get out of bed. Instead I make blow-off sounds back to Matthew.” “I nearly say sorry to Mummy. Instead I tell her what I want for breakfast.”) At times it feels a bit forced, and is used in a way that I wouldn’t use it, such as when the daughter is playing her recorder, she says, “I nearly move on to my grand finale.” Or when Mummy is talking in the car, “We nearly listen. Instead Matthew makes his hand into a puppet that’s saying what Mummy’s saying.”

I would hesitate to buy this book for my children for two reasons: First, Mummy does a lot of yelling and shouting. Every depiction of Mummy, except for the first one, shows her either angry or hands-on-hips hollering at the top of her voice. I’m not sure this is the picture I would want to present to my children of how to resolve issues. It’s meant to be humorous, but the underlying message could teach impressionable young children the wrong thing. Second, “vampire zombie” is mentioned twice in the story. This is purely a personal viewpoint, but this is not something to which I would want to expose my young children, even in a humorous context such as this.

School Mornings Make Mummy A Bit Bonkers is fun to read. It will make you chuckle more than once as you read the antics of the children, doing things that only make sense to them (the daughter plays the recorder with her nostrils!). The illustrations, while not of the highest quality, are more than adequate for this type of book. They are big, bold and colorful, and will capture the interest of small children. The entire book can be read in 5-10 minutes, appropriate to the attention span of little ones. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "School Mornings Make Mummy A Bit Bonkers" on Amazon
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Thanks a for a nice review, and kind of funny!
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thank you! It's a rather humorous look at a typical morning in a typical family. Anyone with kids will get a chuckle or two out of it.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It sounds like a cute book. Thank you for the lovely review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thank you! :)
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

PashaRu wrote:It’s meant to be humorous, but the underlying message could teach impressionable young children the wrong thing.
Excellent review. It sounds like it might be enjoyed more by adults than by children. But what is the underlying message of the book? Is there a moral to the story, or is it simply humor?
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Kappy wrote:Excellent review. It sounds like it might be enjoyed more by adults than by children. But what is the underlying message of the book? Is there a moral to the story, or is it simply humor?
There is no discernible lesson or moral, as far as I could see. It's just a humorous story about a typical morning in a typical two-child household. I think the underlying (albeit unintended) message comes from the mother, whose actions imply that yelling and screaming are acceptable reactions to an unpleasant situation. There is nothing in the story to rebut this or present other options. The mother eventually "succeeds" in getting her children ready and off to school, and the end seems to justify the means.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review. It sounds like a funny book that parents and kids will be able to relate to. The sequel can be how Mommy drove the kids to school with her pajama top under her jacket and realizes one of the kids forgot their lunch bag in the car. Mommy walks into school with her head down hoping no one will notice the pajama top peeking out. Very realistic...don't ask me how I know.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Haha! I guess you must know "someone" who has had that experience! :lol:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The 3rd installment can be when Mommy carried the dog into the first grade classroom before school started and one child said, "Your dog is peeing on your jacket".
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

bookowlie wrote:The 3rd installment can be when Mommy carried the dog into the first grade classroom before school started and one child said, "Your dog is peeing on your jacket".
Haha! I guess you know "someone" who has had that experience too!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”