The girl with the dragon tattoo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amfrancis
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amfrancis.html

The girl with the dragon tattoo

Post by amfrancis »

I had started to read this book about two years ago but had a very hard time getting into it so I set it down. One of my close friends read all three books and she kept pushing me to read it. She did warn me that it starts out extremely slow but if you can push through the first 100-150 pages then it would be well worth it. I figured, what would it hurt. Once page 150 hit, I was still not into the book but I decided to continue on. Around the 350th page, I finally took the bait and was hooked.

I think the hardest part for me was all of the Swedish References. I found that I had to stop every 4-5 paragraphs to look something up. There are also about 4 different story lines taking place at once. I was finding that I was getting lost between all the story lines. About the time that all the story lines started to mingle is about when I got hooked.

This book is set in present day but takes a trip back in time when Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is hired by Henrik Vanger to look into the disappearance of his niece Harriet Vanger and write a family chronicle. At the same time, we are looking at the life of Lisbeth Salander who was appointed a "Guardian" due to her "mental disabilities." Her Guardian Advokat Holger Palmgrem is assumed dead and appointed a new Guardian Advokat Nils Erik Bjurman. Bjurman turns into a very important character in the second book but has a significant role also in this book. Lisbeth Salander also works for Milton Secruity where she is hired to do a "background" check on Mikael Blomkvist prior to him being hired to do the work for Henrik Vanger. During Mikael's research into the Vanger Family, he needs help with some of the details and it's accidentally slipped that Salander did an amazing job on his background check. Mikael ends up hiring Salander as his research assistant.

This is where the book gets interesting. I recommend picking up the book to find out what happens. It is a suspenseful crime thriller. Usually this genre of literature is not my cup of tea but now that I have had a taste, I'm ready to finish this trilogy and move on to more books of this genre.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”