Official Review: Asylum by Sherry Logsdon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
samuyama
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuyama.html
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke
fav_author_id: 2667

Official Review: Asylum by Sherry Logsdon

Post by samuyama »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Asylum" by Sherry Logsdon.]
Book Cover for 1775
Share This Review

Asylum” by Sherry Logsdon is a historical fiction meant to shed light on the various atrocities endured by many women, whose struggles were unjustly silenced or dismissed merely because of who they were. The story follows the life of Isobel McFadden as various atrocities endured by women during the early 1900s are revealed through her eyes.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The author does an incredible job bringing the story to life, allowing the reader to really be with Isobel as she endures witnessing so much injustice to women but feeling unable to do anything about it. I stopped numerous times throughout the story just stunned on realizing what some people endured not even 100 years ago.

Despite all the gloom throughout the story there is a definite sense of hope. Isobel is always working to make the best of her situation. Even though it’s a fictitious story seeing things work out for her gave me a sense of hope, if she could make it through and come out on top everyone’s got a chance. Logsdon incorporates a beautiful use of poetry as a way for Isobel to cope with her struggles and express a deep part of her soul. Each poem is elegantly written, mysterious yet relatable. As someone who normally skips that kind of stuff in books I found myself taking time to read a few of them over again.

The story goes at a great pace. No part felt too long-winded or too abrupt. I enjoyed each chapter and the stories they shared, and I was pleasantly surprised by an imaginative plot twist near the end. It went by rather quickly, so it took me some reminding that what I was reading covered the entire span of a person’s life, decades. Yes, Isobel’s life improves dramatically throughout the story, but part of the bittersweet-ness of it all is recognizing how slow the process was for her and how long she had to endure in the meantime. I believe the beauty of this story lies in Isobel’s effort to experience each day as best she can, showing kindness in whatever way possible, no matter how small.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The world is a big place with lots of big things to write about. This book takes time to focus on the life of a single individual and celebrate the simple goodness she brought to the world and those around her. It was a true pleasure to sit on the coach and read through each page, always wondering what would happen next. But beyond that, it was one of those rare books that caused me to take a moment to reflect on the lives of others and the good fortune I’ve experienced in my life.

Buy "Asylum" on Amazon
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thank you for this review. It sounds like an excellent book. Truly, women's struggles are often dismissed simply because of who they are.

Thank you also for not sharing specifics of atrocities in your review. :-)
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
samuyama

Post by samuyama »

thank you for your comment :) It's nice to know someone's out there enjoying what I write.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

This definitely sounds like a tough but interesting read. Subjects like this can be hard to get through, but it sounds like the author did a nice job of lightening it up a bit with who they chose as the protagonist. Another historical fiction I might just have to pick up. Great review!
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
samuyama

Post by samuyama »

ALRyder wrote:This definitely sounds like a tough but interesting read. Subjects like this can be hard to get through, but it sounds like the author did a nice job of lightening it up a bit with who they chose as the protagonist. Another historical fiction I might just have to pick up. Great review!
Thanks for checking out my review. I'd say the content is sad, but not depressing or anything like that. Very heartfelt and definitely leaves you hopeful for the world.

-- 20 Jun 2014, 15:00 --

I'd love to hear the author's thoughts!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”